Oh boy, do I have a recipe for you today. Just like the Skinny Single-Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe that I posted last week, this recipe ticks loads of boxes, too. It’s vegetarian – although you can totally add ham or bacon if you can’t stomach the idea of a meat-free meal like My Official Treat Taster.
As well as super-versatile, this hash brown muffin recipe is also quick and easy to make. It only requires six ingredients (okay, eight if you include salt and pepper) and 45 minutes to make. You’ve probably already got these six ingredients in your kitchen right now and we can all spend 30 minutes in the kitchen – even on a crazy busy week night if the result is something this delicious.
For 15 minutes of the 45 you don’t need to be in the kitchen because that’s when the hash brown cups are baking. With this 15 minutes spare you could do something mega important, like check your Facebook messages, upload your latest selfie to Instagram or somehow limit yourself to just 15 minutes browsing Pinterest. Have you seen the hash brown cups on Pinterest? There are loads on there – and I mean loads. But these are the best. Not that I’m biased towards my own recipes or anything.
I’m a bit unsure about when you’re supposed to eat a hash brown nest. When I set out to make them, I thought they’d be a breakfast recipe, but broccoli for breakfast is a step too far even for me. So unless you’re a super hero, I think these hash brown cups are best kept as part of a main lunch or dinner meal. Or better yet – a snack! A healthy snack that’s filling, won’t leave you crashing and makes you feel good about yourself. Who can’t get on board with that?
When do you plan on eating these broccoli hash brown cheese cups?
- 2 medium-size potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ small head broccoli
- 4 medium-sized eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and grease 6 moulds of a muffin tin.
- Grate the potatoes with their skins on and scoop all the grated potato into the centre of a clean tea towel.
- Scrunch the tea towel up into a ball over the sink so that all the potato gratings get pushed to the bottom and twist the top as much as you can so all the liquid is pressed out. Squeeze, squeeze and squeeze until no more liquid comes out.
- Place the dry grated potato into a medium-size bowl with the olive oil and stir. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir again.
- Evenly divide the raw hash brown mix between the 6 muffin moulds and press each one down and up the sides to create a cup-like shape. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the broccoli up into small florets and place into a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Cook in the microwave for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, cheddar cheese and milk.
- Take the half baked hash brown cups out of the oven and evenly divide the steamed broccoli between them.
- Evenly pour the beaten egg mixture on top and bake for a final 15 minutes, until the tops are puffy and golden brown.