Crisp and crunchy on the outside, soft and packed full of delicious, wholesome ingredients on the inside – this easy and quick breakfast burrito is everything you want from a morning meal without the hassle of getting up early to make it or hit the shops for unusual only-ever-going-to-use-once ingredients!
If you’ve ever taken a look at my healthy breakfast recipes page, you’ll know how much I love sweet breakfasts. Basically, if there is a way I can eat something healthy and nutritious for breakfast but have it taste like dessert, I’m all over it. Which is why I wrote my ebook ‘Ten Healthy Overnight Oat Recipes That Taste Like Dessert’ which you can download here for free! So when I’m having something savoury for breakfast, it’s got to be good. Really good. Like this easy and quick breakfast burrito good!
It’s really simple to make, which is perfect because no one wants to be following a really difficult recipe first thing in the morning and it’s made from ordinary ingredients that you’ve probably already got in your fridge as you’re reading this right now. Even if you haven’t got the exact ingredients, this quick breakfast burrito recipe is so versatile that you can easily make switches and substitutions wherever you like.
Don’t have any ham? Swap it for bacon – although it won’t be as healthy. Don’t have any cheddar cheese? Substitute whatever type of cheese you do have – although cheddar cheese does give this breakfast burrito an awesome kick. What I’m trying to say is, I think this combo of ingredients is perfect, but feel free to tailor it to your own taste buds!
The best thing about this quick breakfast burrito recipe? It can be made ahead of time! So if you haven’t got 20 minutes to spare on breakfast in the morning, make a few of these up over the weekend but don’t cook them. Instead, wrap them in plastic wrap or tin foil and store them in the fridge for up to five days. Then come each weekday morning, all you need to do is unwrap them and cook them in a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. How easy is that?!
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped thick ham
- 1/4 ripe avocado diced
- Drizzle the olive oil into a small frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the chopped onion for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Pour the milk into the pan and crack in the egg. Quickly stir the ingredients in the pan together with a fork, making a scrambled egg and onion mixture. Make sure you crack the yolk of the egg so that you get scrambled eggs and not an ordinary fried egg!
- Season with salt and pepper and carry on stirring for 2-3 minutes until you've got light and fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Whilst the egg is cooking, sprinkle the cheddar cheese in a thick line down the centre of the tortilla and place the chopped ham on top.
- Layer the cooked scrambled egg-onion mixture on top of the ham and top with the diced avocado.
- Roll the tortilla up into the shape of a burrito (Learn how to wrap an awesome burrito here) and add it crease-side-down back into the frying pan. Don't add any more oil.
- Cook the burrito for 2-3 minutes on each side until the outsides are golden brown and the inside is piping hot.
- Cut the burrito in halve and serve immediately.