Love ooey-gooey cinnamon rolls but don’t want to indulge in that much fat and sugar first thing in the morning? Then this healthy mug cake recipe is the one for you! Made with nutritious, wholesome ingredients, this healthy cinnamon roll mug cake has all the delicious, decadent flavours of a cinnamon roll with only a fraction of the calories. Sounds too good to be true? Trust me – it’s not!
This recipe was inspired by one of the most popular breakfast recipes on Happy Healthy Motivated: Healthy Deep-Dish Breakfast Chocolate Chip Cookie. Since you really love that one, I figured basing this healthy cinnamon roll mug cake recipe on it would result in a winner – and it totally did!
Now I’m not going to say that this healthy cinnamon roll mug cake has the exact same texture of a cinnamon roll. Because it simply doesn’t. The texture is light and fluffy like a cake, while also being chewy and satisfying, thanks to the heart-healthy oats. This makes it suitable for a sweet snack or delicious breakfast. Yep, that’s right. You can totally eat this healthy cinnamon roll mug cake for breakfast and not feel bad about it at all!
Have you noticed how difficult it is to find genuinely healthy mug cake recipes? Loads of them include at least 1 tablespoon or oil or butter. That might not sound like a lot, but when you compare it to the amount of oil or butter you’d consume eating an ordinary (i.e. not “healthy”) slice of cake, there’s usually more in the healthy single-serving version than a portion of the full-fat version. Not what you expect from a healthy recipe, right?
That’s why I always try and replace oil or butter with natural or Greek yogurt. I did it in this Healthy Chocolate Fudge Mug Brownie and I’ve done it again in this healthy cinnamon roll mug cake recipe!
Cooking time will vary between microwaves and according to how deep the mug you’re using is. My healthy cinnamon roll mug cake takes 80-90 seconds to cook. I recommend you try cooking your mug cake for 60 seconds and if the top is still wet and doughy, put it back in the microwave for an extra ten seconds. Keep going in bursts of 10 seconds until it’s fully cooked.
If it wasn’t for oatmeal and microwave mug cakes, I’d never use my microwave at all! How do you feel about mug cakes – love them, hate them or just don’t care?
Healthy Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
for the cake
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fat-free sugar-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
for the topping
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sugar-free yogurt
- ground cinnamon
- Stir together all the dry ingredients for the cake (oats, flour, stevia powder, baking powder and ground cinnamon) in a large mug or ramekin with a fork.
- Add the yogurt and stir thoroughly to make sure there are no dry pockets hiding anywhere.
- Place the mug or ramekin in the microwave and cook on full power for 80-90 seconds, until the cake has puffed up and it's no longer wet on top.
- Remove the cake from the microwave and top with the yogurt and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon before eating hot.