I’ve told you before how I feel about muffins for breakfast – and it’s not good. The only time I ever have a muffin for breakfast is usually when I’m travelling – like if I’m in a cafe at the airport or at the station about to jump on a train and it’s pretty much the only option available. But most muffins are packed with fat and sugar. Essentially – they’re just naked cupcakes. And by that I mean cupcakes without the frosting, not cupcakes blushing in their underwear that I’m picturing right now. Which doesn’t even make any sense because if they’re wearing underwear, then they’re not naked. But anyway, moving on…
So muffins are pretty much cupcakes. XXXL cupcakes since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bakery muffin as small as a cupcake. And would you eat a cupcake for breakfast? No. (If you said yes, then you’re just plain awesome.) But this chocolate chip muffin recipe is an entirely different thing.
It’s small size and single-serving portion mean you can’t over-indulge, it’s healthy and nutritious ingredients mean you can take care of your body and its delicious taste means you can treat yourself to bursts of melted dark chocolate in every bite. Sounds like the perfect way to start off a morning, right?
Getting a chocolate chip muffin moist can be tricky, but the combination of olive oil, Greek or natural yoghurt and milk in this recipe should help you overcome that problem. If you haven’t got any olive oil, you can sub canola, vegetable, nut or seed oil or even melted butter – I only used olive oil because it’s healthy.
Whatever you do, though, make sure you do you add a little bit of some type of fat. If you don’t use any fat, 50% of your healthy chocolate chip muffin recipe will stick to the cupcake liner and you won’t be able to get it off. And not being able to get to half of your chocolate chip muffin? That’s the worst torture known to man.
Another thing that will help you keep this chocolate chip muffin moist is to not over-mix the batter. When all the ingredients come together in a thick mixture, stop mixing! Use your spoon and scoop that mixture into the cupcake liner and get baking!
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon natural or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and pop one cupcake liner into a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, use a large spoon to stir together the flour, baking powder and chocolate chips.
- Pour in the vanilla extract, olive oil, yogurt, milk and stir with the spoon until a thick batter forms. Stop as soon as all the ingredients are combined - you don't want to over-mix.
- Scoop the mixture into the cupcake liner and bake in the preheated oven for around 17-20 minutes, until the top is just beginning to turn golden brown.