Do you commit yourself to one type of dessert? I don’t mean like you’ll only ever eat cookies and turn down everything else that’s offered to you because you’re fully committed to them. I mean, have you picked a firm favourite dessert and stuck with it?
I think I have and it’s brownies. I love cakes, adore cupcakes, fall head over heels for bars, gobble up cookies by the dozen, think desserts are divine, gorge on dips, dunk my face into donuts, go through bowl after bowl of ice cream, hoover up the last crumb of muffin, dig into pies and eat tarts until they’re coming out of my ears, but none of them even compare to brownies.
I honestly believe that there is nothing in the world which can equate to a decadently rich chocolate brownie, ooey-gooey on the inside and crisp and crunchy on the outside. But there is a major downside to brownies – they’re made up of a boatload of sugar, butter and chocolate and tend to come in batches of at least 16.
Not so great when you only live in a house with one other person who is at work all day whilst you’re sat at home at your desk writing about food, you know? I think you can see where I’m going with this.
So instead of depriving myself of the indulgent chocolate happiness that brownies always bring me, I decided to create a single serving brownie much much much lower in sugar and fat than a regular brownie which can be made in a fraction of the time – we’re looking at less than five minutes here!
I haven’t cut down on sugar and fat by cutting down on size – oh no. I’m all for bigger is better when it comes to desserts and I totally assure you that this skinny mug brownie for one is at least the size of a generous portion of regular brownie – if not even bigger! If you want to cut the calories down even further, be my guest and half the recipe. But it’s so so good that I bet you’ll end up making two!
Here’s the calorie count for each serving of skinny mug brownie for one for anyone interested:
- whole wheat flour: 54
- white sugar: 48
- unsweetened cocoa powder: 12
- baking powder: 0
- chocolate chips: 24
- vanilla: 0
- yoghurt: 20 (approximately, worked out from the tub I use at home)
Skinny Mug Brownie for One
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sugar-free yoghurt (you can use another type but it will have more calories)
- Mix all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and chocolate chips - together in a small bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and yoghurt and stir until completely combined.
- Scoop into a small microwave-safe ramekin and cook in the microwave for around 50 seconds if you want a deliciously gooey centre or 60 seconds if you want a spongier brownie.
- Dig in whilst still warm!