About one year ago, I published a post with ten recipes you could do with leftover egg whites. The post proved to be crazily popular and loads of people came out on the woodwork saying that they had no idea there were so many uses for egg whites! I absolutely hate any form of kitchen waste and if I can help you make use of leftover egg whites that you’d normally throw away, then I’m one happy blogger!
But being the never-quite-satisfied person that I am, I thought “Ten recipes for leftover egg whites. That’s not very many. I must find more!” Which is why I’m here today, sharing with you guys another ten recipes, so hopefully you’ll never be left wondering what to make with egg whites ever again.
Whether you’re making homemade ice cream, Hollandaise sauce or choux pastry, there are loads of different ways you could end up with leftover egg whites. If you’re looking for ways to cut down on kitchen waste and use up those leftover egg whites, you’ve come to the right place! Here are some of my favourite recipes to make with egg whites:
- Meringues – crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside cookies made from egg whites and sugar.
- Angel Food Cake – naturally fat-free cake made with flour, sugar and egg whites.
- Chocolate Chip Protein Oatmeal Bake – healthy single-serving breakfast dish with oats, egg whites and chocolate chips.
- Salmon and Egg Sandwich – use the egg whites to make a scramble for a healthy sandwich.
- Homemade Marshmallow Fluff – made using sugar, egg whites and light corn syrup.
- Homemade Marshmalows – very similar to the above recipe, made using egg whites, gelatin and sugar.
- Italian Meringue Buttercream – a fun change from regular buttercream, with egg whites, butter and sugar.
- Lemon Meringue Pie – whip the egg whites to create a light and fluffy topping for this zesty pie.
- Baked Alaska – use whipped egg whites to create a protective barrier around this ice cream cake.
- One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcake for One – a great way to make a tasty treat from a tiny amount of leftover egg whites.
- Chocolate and Berry Mousse Pots – thoroughly whipped egg whites make a wonderfully light and airy mousse.
- Raspberry-Coconut Macarons – are they a merginue or are they a cookie? It doesn’t matter, because either way – I’m having one!
- Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts – it’s the egg white that helps the delicious cinnamon sugar coating stick to the nuts!
- Egg White Frittata – combine your egg whites with some veggies to make a healthy breakfast or brunch.
- Coconut Macaroons – they’re nowhere near as popular as their similarly-named macaron friends, but macaroons are just as decadent. (And not nearly as difficult, yay!)
- Red Clover Cocktail – some cocktails, like this fabulous raspberry Red Clover, use beaten egg whites for thickening.
- Blackberry Financiers – they sound a bit like something you’d find at the stock market, but they’re not – they’re adorable little light-as-air almond cakes!
- Fish Pie with Souffle Crouton Topping – okay, so the egg white in this recipe is only one of many ingredients, but it’s still important!
- Chocolate Souffles – although they’re notoriously difficult to make, chocolate souffles are always worth the effort!
- Peanut Butter Waffles – I’ve never heard of using egg whites in waffles before, but I can’t wait to give it a try now I have!
And there we have it – 20 different ways to use up leftover egg whites. So next time a recipe calls for two egg yolks and one egg white, don’t just wash the extra egg white down the drain. Save it and use it to whip up something amazing!
I’d love to add to my list of ways to use up leftover egg whites. What are your favourite recipes?
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!