BBQ sauce-soaked crunchy florets of cauliflower, sweet caramelised onions and fresh mozzarella scattered on top of a 100% whole wheat homemade base. Oh yes, this is my kind of pizza.
This pizza is a regular at the Pink Recipe Box household, which is saying something seeing that I live with a man who insists on every meal containing at least one kind of meat, otherwise it’s a snack, not a meal, apparently. Who knew? But this? Even he devours this with gusto – providing I serve it alongside a generous portion of wedges or fries. Me? I prefer to enjoy it alongside a fresh and crispy salad, especially during the warm summer months.
This pizza base recipe is one of my ultimate favourites and never fails me. It’s made entirely of whole wheat flour, is easy to make and results in a thin and crispy base which perfect for smothering in BBQ sauce, roasted cauliflower, sweet onions and plenty of ooey-gooey cheese. Next time you’re wondering which pizza to have, ditch the take-out menu and get busy making this Whole Wheat BBQ Cauliflower Pizza!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- mozzarella - as much or as little as you want
- Combine all the ingredients for the base into a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
- Knead with your hands for around 1-2 minutes until the dough holds together in a ball.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and grease the bowl. Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a cloth. Leave to rise for 3 hours - yes, 3 hours!
- When risen, punch down and cover. Leave to rise for another 30 minutes - yes, even more rising time!
- Punch down once again and roll out as thin as you can into a rectangle or circle - whatever shape you prefer your pizza. Place on a baking tray.
- Smother the pizza base in 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce.
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing all the florets and chopping them into bite-sized pieces. Rinse and place them in a baking tray.
- Toss the cauliflower in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast at 400F/200C for around 40 minutes, or until soft throughout and crispy on the edges.
- Whilst the cauliflower is roasting, slice the onion and throw it in a saucepan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring regularly, for around 30 minutes, or until soft and caramelised. Scatter on top of the pizza base.
- Toss the cooked cauliflower in the remaining 1/4 cup BBQ sauce and scatter on the pizza base.
- Slice or grate the mozzarella - as much or as little as you want - and evenly throw it over the top of the pizza.
- Bake at 400F/200C for around 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the base is crunchy.
Pizza base recipe adapted from How Sweet it is
Here are the link parties I link up to.
Come and party with me!