These baked egg boats are so easy to make, yet extremely tasty and filling. Since they require so little effort, you could even make them for a weekday breakfast, although you would probably only need half a baguette to keep you going until way after lunch.
I didn’t scoop enough bread out of the baguettes and therefore couldn’t pour all of the bacon and eggy-goodness into the boats, so be sure to take out a lot of the bread! It’s quite hard to tell when these are ready, so make sure you give them at least 30 minutes in the oven.
On the balcony with a cup of tea, the glistening sea in the background and good company – these baked egg boats are the perfect brunch treat for two.
Inspired by Spoon Fork Bacon.
2 small baguettes
50ml single scream
50g chopped uncooked bacon
60g grated cheese
½ onion, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 170C.
2. Slice a deep V shape into each of the baguettes and remove a fair amount of the filling.
3. Fry the bacon for around five minutes – cooked but not crispy.
4. Lightly whisk together the eggs and cream. Add the bacon, cheese, onion, salt and pepper.
5. Pour even amounts of the egg mix into the baguettes and place on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for around 30 minutes or until fully-cooked and set in the centre.