These BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers are the first veggie burgers I’ve ever eaten and I can’t believe they’ve been missing from my life for so long. They are so good that even my chickpea-despising and veggie-hating Official Treat Taster went for a second bite. Okay, so the burger was covered in so much sauce and cheese that he probably couldn’t taste the veggies or chickpeas, but that is beyond the point. The point is: these burgers are fantastic and you need to make them for lunch right now.
The original recipe calls for a food processor, but if you don’t have one (like me) don’t worry – you can still make these burgers. Instead of putting all the ingredients into a food processor, place them all into a large bowl and use a hand-held processor to mix everything together. This is what I did and it worked brilliantly. If you don’t have a hand-held processor, you could always try mashing the chickpeas with a potato masher and mix everything together with a spoon.
These burgers freeze really well. In fact, I have several mini-burgers wrapped in plastic and stored in my freezer for when I’m in desperate need of a snack, but want something healthier than whatever dessert I have in my fridge. I just grab a burger, blast it in the microwave for 4 minutes and devour my almost-instant, nutritious and tasty snack.
BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers
- ½ onion finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped broccoli
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 2 cups chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese + more for topping
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce + more for topping
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- pinch salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 390F. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions until softened.
- Combine all the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor and mix until completely combined. Be careful not to over-mix - you don't want gloopy burgers, you want thick, chunky burgers packed with texture. Form the mixture into 6 burgers.
- Lay the burgers on a baking tray and bake for around 30 minutes, or until crispy and golden on the outside.
Recipe adapted from How Sweet it is