I came up with this recipe shortly after Christmas as a creative way to use up the left-over turkey. The cranberry sauce really makes this dish something special. It’s never going to win any beauty contests, but it tastes to fantastic that I don’t care!
A layer of chopped vegetables – such as parsnips, Brussels sprouts or carrots – would work really well in this recipe, but Boyfriend wouldn’t let vegetables near the casserole.
This recipe serves two, but can easily be changed to serve more or less people.
300g cooked, sliced turkey
50g Soft cheese
Handful of chives
150g pre-made stuffing
50g frozen cranberries
150ml red wine
1. First, make the cranberry sauce layer. Place the frozen cranberries, in a saucepan with the sugar and red wine over a medium heat. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes before pouring into a baking dish.
2. Layer half of the turkey slices on top of the cranberry sauce. Spread the stuffing on the turkey and top with the rest of the turkey slices.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C and peel and chop the potatoes. Place in boiling water for around 20 minutes until they are soft.
4. Thoroughly mash the potatoes then add the soft cheese and continue to mash until well blended. Finely chop the chives and add into the mashed potato. Mix well before spooning on top of the turkey slices.
5. Place in the oven for around 20-30 minutes.