There's nothing that puts a smile on my face than sitting down to a great big bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal first thing in the morning - especially when it's low-calorie and healthy! This wholesome breakfast dish has all the classic flavours of chocolate chip cookie dough, but in the form of nourishing oatmeal you can tuck into every day for breakfast.
If you got a feeling of de ja vu when you read this recipe title, you're totally right. I first posted a recipe for healthy chocolate chip cookie dough back in 2014, but a lot has changed since then. I use a bigger serving of oats for a more filling breakfast, all milk and no water for a creamier texture and stevia powder instead of sugar to cut back on the sugar and calorie content. So although I thought my original recipe was good at the time, believe me when I say this one is even better!
It seems a bit weird that I'm posting a healthy oatmeal recipe at the end of May, right? I mean, isn't oatmeal meant to be something you cuddle up with next to the fire on a cold winter's day? Well the fact that I'm posting it now is proof of how much I love oatmeal. Even when it's 90+ outside, chances are I'm still having oatmeal for breakfast. Because if I wasn't eating chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal for breakfast, I'd probably be eating ordinary chocolate chip cookie dough for breakfast. I've got a major sweet tooth!
If you don't love the idea of tucking into a warm bowl of comfort on a hot summer's day, this chocolate chip cookie dough overnight oats recipe might be more your thing. It's got all the flavours you get in the oatmeal version (with the addition of super-healthy chia seeds and yummy PB2 powder) but it's all chilly and refreshing to cool you down in the morning. Which is probably something you'd much rather if you eat breakfast after working out.
- ½ cup instant or rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chopped up sugar-free milk chocolate you can substitute ordinary milk chocolate
- optional: extra oats for topping
- Stir the oats, stevia, skimmed milk and vanilla extract together in a large serving bowl.
- Place in the microwave and cook on full power for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in most of the chopped up chocolate.
- Sprinkle a few leftover chocolate pieces on top and extra oats, if using, before serving.
Where do I find the recipes
Hi Shelleu! Just scroll down to the bottom of the post and you'll see the recipe 🙂