I think granola is a very American thing. The only similar product I’ve ever come across in Europe is muesli which has got to be one of the most disgusting breakfast items in the world ever. Well, the store bought stuff is at least.
Years ago, I tried to force myself to like muesli in an effort to eat more healthily (a thing which I later learned was a terrible, terrible idea and would end up making me hate the stale pencil sharpenings even more). By the end of my I-will-like-muesli-by-the-end-of-the-week phase, I had covered my teeny tiny bowl of muesli in 1 cup of full-fat milk, a handful of milk chocolate chips and about 4 dessert spoonfuls of sugar.
And guess what? I still couldn’t eat the stuff. That’s how bad it was! After ditching the muesli for good, I searched online to see if I could find an alternative and settled on granola. The first time I came across the word ‘granola’ was playing a Nancy Drew computer game – she had to prepare lunch for a load of students and they all wanted granola bars.
Yes – I did say Nancy Drew. Have you ever played those games? They’re tough! Especially on the senior detective levels. Don’t judge me – for all you know I could be a 12 year old girl. I’m not. But I could be. Seriously, My Official Treat Taster and I have completed every single Nancy Drew game. Want to come round tomorrow evening? We’re oh-so-much-fun. Anyway – Chewy Chocolate Chunk Granola Bars!
What’s better than eating a bowl of granola in the morning? Eating a Chewy Chocolate Chunk Granola Bar! A sweet and sticky mixture of chewy oats, crispy cereal and sweet milk chocolate chunks – these bars are the perfect morning treat or sweet afternoon snack. What I really love about them is how portable they are – you can take them anywhere for when a snack craving hits.
They are so much better than any other cereal-like breakfast dish (I’m mainly thinking muesli) or anything you can pick up at the store. So run into your kitchen, grab the ingredients listed in the recipe card below (which you probably already have in your cupboards – win!) and whip these bars up pronto so you’ll have plenty for breakfast tomorrow.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- cup as many milk chocolate chunks as you like I used 1/4
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Line an 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a very large bowl, mix together the oats, Rice Krispies and as many chocolate chunks as you fancy.
- In a saucepan, melt the brown sugar, honey and butter together over a medium heat, stirring regularly until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for an extra 2 minutes until thick.
- Leave the sugary mixture to cool slightly – don’t leave it too long or you’ll end up with rock-solid toffee that will never part with your pan.
- Pour the slightly-cooled sugary mixture on top of the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is well combined. If you think the mixture is a little dry, add more warmed honey until you're happy.
- Pour this mix into your prepared pan and press down very firmly to make sure its tightly compacted.
- Sprinkle some more chocolate chunks on top of the bars and press them in place.
- Leave the bars to cool completely at room temperature - this will take a few hours - before slicing.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!