A deliciously creamy bowl of chocolate overnight oats, brightened up with tangy orange zest and rich dark chocolate. These chocolate orange overnight oats are the closest you'll get to eating a classic Terry's Chocolate Orange for breakfast while still being healthy!
Wait a minute. Do you even know what a Terry's Chocolate Orange is? If you're from the UK, it's almost a definite yes. But if you're from the US or elsewhere, I'm not so sure.
A Terry's Chocolate Orange is two things: the best Christmas treat and also the weirdest Christmas treat.
It's the best because it is quite literally an orange-sized bowl of solid chocolate. Can you imagine biting into an orange and actually having it be orange-flavoured milk chocolate? Heaven! It's even wrapped in orange-coloured foil so it looks like the fruit.
It's the weirdest because instead of peeling it and gently separating the chocolate ball into segments, you're meant to peel off the foil and then smash it on the table to separate the chocolate into servings. Or, according to Reddit, you can smack someone on the head with it instead.
The company that makes the Terry's Chocolate Orange brought out loads of ads saying how you're meant to tap it on a table to open it. But seeing as these things are in abundance throughout the festive season (a time when alcohol is free-flowing) it's easy to see how a lot more heads got tapped than tables.
In the UK, you can pick up a Terry's chocolate orange for £1. But on the sunny little island where I live, I rarely find them for less than €5. And since I'm saving every penny I can get my hands for my new house, Terry's Chocolate Oranges are a thing of the past for me. Which is why I had to get creative and turn the classic Christmas treat into these chocolate orange overnight oats!
And you know what? I don't even feel like I'm missing out. These chocolate orange overnight oats are waaay better than a Terry's Chocolate Orange because:
- They're healthy and low in calories (something an orange-sized ball of chocolate definitely is not)
- You can eat these oats for breakfast and feel good about it
- You don't have to wait until Christmas to eat them - you can make them all year round!
These chocolate orange overnight oats aren't Terry's - they're mine. 😉
Chocolate Orange Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- zest of ½ orange
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup fat-free, sugar-free yogurt (you can substitute any type of yogurt or kefir)
- ⅓ cup skimmed milk (you can substitute non-dairy milk)
- Place all the ingredients into a small container and mix until totally combined. Pop a lid on the container and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours to chill and thicken before eating.