Looking for a reason to eagerly jump out of bed in the morning on a weekday? Well this healthy breakfast bake is it! Packed full of melted chocolate chips, dreamy peanut butter and sweet bananas, this chocolate, peanut butter and banana breakfast bake not only tastes incredible, but it's quick and easy to make, too. A total winner, right?!
I don't know what it is, but there is just something wonderful about the flavour combo of chocolate, peanut butter and banana, don't you think? Even though I'm not usually a big fan of hot banana (Love it cold in banoffee pie or warm-ish on top of oatmeal, but hot? Ick, no thanks.) I get on fine with it in this breakfast bake oatmeal. So please don't be put off if you're not a big hot banana fan either!
I first got the idea for this healthy breakfast bake when I saw this Chunky Monkey Breakfast Bake from Running with Spoons. It just looked so delicious, so light and almost fluffy that I instantly knew I wanted to make my own version - so I did! I got rid of the flour to make it gluten-free and instead of using peanut butter to make a banana nut sauce, I used my new favourite ingredient - PB2 Powder - to add a dreamy, creamy peanut butter flavour to the oatmeal bake.
If you've never tried PB2 powder before, you need to get your hands on some right now! A 1 tablespoon serving of ordinary peanut butter contains 94 calories, but a 1 tablespoon serving of PB2 powder contains just 22.5 calories - can you believe that?! PB2 powder is basically natural peanut butter which has most of the fat removed, so it's totally natural and good for you, all the while being much lower in fat than ordinary peanut butter. And don't for one minute think fewer calories means less taste because it doesn't! 1 tablespoon of PB2 adds just as much nutty goodness to any dish that peanut butter does.
vegetarian - gluten-free - high in fiber
Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Bake
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 tablespoons PB2 powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana mashed
- ½ cup skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a large ramekin with oil. (I love these oval ramekins)
- In one medium-sized bowl, stir together the oats, oat bran, stevia powder, PB2 powder, baking powder and milk chocolate chips.
- Add the mashed banana and skimmed milk into the bowl and stir until everything comes together.
- Scoop the mixture into the greased ramekin and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the top just begins to turn golden brown.