Cookie Dough Oatmeal - AKA the only way worth eating oatmeal. After trying porridge once when I was little, I was sure I hated oatmeal. They're pretty much the same thing, right? Oats cooked with milk?
Well, whoever first served me porridge gave me exactly that - oats cooked with milk. What kind of person serves kids oats cooked with milk without any extras and expects them to like it?! Maybe they seriously wanted me to hate porridge. Whatever.
The point is, I went for years convinced that I hated porridge and oatmeal until I remembered that I'm now an adult and can mess around with my food as much as I like in order for me to love it.
This Cookie Dough Oatmeal? Well it's pretty much the result of that. Me being determined to make myself like something that on its own can be anywhere from dull and boring to downright disgusting.
Now let's get things straight early on - this Cookie Dough Oatmeal doesn't actually contain any cookie dough. I consider oatmeal to be a quick, filling and (relatively) healthy breakfast option, so there's no way I can put cookie dough in there and still think of it that way.
So why is is Cookie Dough Oatmeal? The flavours and textures of the ingredients just scream out cookie dough to me. A bowl of the stuff could even be mistaken for a bowl of cookie dough...maybe.
Out of all the ways I've ever tried oatmeal - and believe me, I've tried a fair few! - this has got to be my ultimate favourite. The hint of chocolate and sweetness means this Cookie Dough Oatmeal is special enough to serve for a weekend breakfast, whilst the simplicity and quickness makes it perfectly suitable for a weekday breakfast.
Even though the temperatures have been around 20C (68F) where I live recently, that's so so so much colder than I'm used to and after my morning jog, there's nothing I love more than snuggling up on the settee with a blanket, a bowl of this Cookie Dough Oatmeal and my phone with which I can stalk my fellow bloggers on Instagram.
Cookie Dough Oatmeal
- ¼ cup quick oats + extra for topping
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk chocolate chips + extra for topping
- Stir together the oats, water, milk, vanilla extract and brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook in the microwave for one minute. Remove and stir.
- Cook in the microwave for around one more minute. Do not let your eyes leave the microwave at this point! If it looks like the oatmeal is going to overflow, stop cooking!
- Stir in one teaspoon of milk chocolate chips then top with additional oats and chocolate chips.
- Eat asap for a warm and snuggly breakfast treat.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!