Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear Nicolaaaaaa. Happy birthday to me! In case I wasn’t obvious enough, today is my birthday! Well it almost is. My birthday is actually Feb 10th, but I don’t post on Tuesdays, so I’m celebrating today.
Every birthday requires cake. In this case – devil’s food cake. But not just any devil’s food cake. One made entirely from scratch without any box mixes or the nasty chemicals hiding within them! (In the very rare instance that devil’s food cake doesn’t wow you as much as it does me, there are loads of other cake recipes on Pink Recipe Box, too.)
If you’ve got feeling of de ja vu, it’s probably because this DIY homemade devil’s food cake mix recipe is actually a Pink Recipe Box post makeover – not a new recipe. This devil’s food cake recipe is one of the most popular posts on my blog, so I thought I’d jazz it up a bit with better writing, a more detailed recipe and some much better photos, since the only photo I had for this recipe was beyond terrible.
Even if it’s not your birthday today, you can whip up this homemade cake mix recipe and give it to the foodie in your life as a gift. That way they get a thoughtful homemade present and hopefully you get a slice of cake out of it! To give this recipe as a present, combine all the dry ingredients in the recipe below and scoop it into a cute mason jar. Wrap a pretty ribbon around the rim and stick a cute label on the jar – no one wants an undecorated jar of brown stuff for their birthday.
Don’t forget to include the recipe in the jar or your friend won’t be able to make the cake! You can print out the recipe below, write it out by hand, or better yet, tell them to come to Pink Recipe Box to find the recipe and we can celebrate our birthdays together.
I used a basic chocolate buttercream recipe to frost the cake in the photo, but if you’re looking for something a bit different to decorate your cake, try one of these light and fluffy whipped cream frosting recipes or even drizzle on some silky smooth chocolate ganache.
DIY Homemade Devil’s Food Cake Mix
for the dry cake mix
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips or chopped up milk chocolate
to make the cake
- 1 batch of dry cake mix
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brewed coffee or 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sour cream
to make the dry mix
- Mix all the dry cake mix ingredients together and store inside a jar or container in a cool, dry place.
to make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C and empty the contents of the dry cake mix into a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs, butter, coffee or water and sour cream.
- Beat well until there are no lumps in the batter and pour into a greased 13x9" baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool to room temperature in the baking pan for around 2 hours.
- When cooled, remove the cake from the pan and frost with your favourite frosting.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!