Last week I stated that salsa is ugly, but do you know what else is ugly? Enchiladas. What is it about Mexican food that’s so ugly?! It’s a good job their margaritas are so pretty because that balances it out. Anyway, when food tastes this amazing and is this easy to make, it doesn’t matter how ugly the food is, right?
I love chicken enchiladas so much that they make an appearance on the Pink Recipe Box dinner table at least once each month. And for me to make them that often, I’ve got to have an awesome chicken enchilada recipe that’s fast to prepare, requires few ingredients, is made from scratch and above all tastes totally amazing and way better than any Mexican restaurant round here.
I love this easy chicken enchilada recipe so much and think it’s so OMGWOW that I just had to share it with you guys. It would be rude of me to keep a hold of the world’s best and easiest chicken enchilada recipe and not share it with everyone, right?
But a 30-minute time-frame and simple prep aren’t the only reasons I’m sharing this recipe! Not only does this dish of roast chicken enchiladas come together in 30 minutes with very little work, but it also includes a secret ingredient that take the amazing flavours and incredible textures to a whole new level! Can you guess what it is?
Chicken skin! Not raw, obviously. But crispy, buttery, flavour-packed roasted chicken skin. Sprinkle a few pieces of chicken skin on top of the tomato sauce along with freshly grated Mexican cheese and in 10-15 minutes you’ll be pulling the most heavenly batch of chicken enchiladas you’ve ever made in your lifetime out of the oven, I promise you!
Before I even stepped into the kitchen to make this dish, I knew I wanted it to come together in 30 minutes. So I might have cheated just a little bit. And by cheated, I mean I had all my ingredients and pans on the side, Jamie Oliver style, so I didn’t have to go rummaging about in endless cupboards for anything.
All the prep, such as grating cheese and slicing onions, was done in the 30-minute set time, though, so it’s totally doable. Even if you prefer to take things slow, I think these enchiladas will take you a maximum of 45 minutes. And who wouldn’t wait an extra 15 minutes for a baking tray full of melted, gooey yumminess?
Easy 30-Minute Roast Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked and shredded roast chicken
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 tortillas
- Mexican cheese grated
- fresh coriander
- cooked chicken skin
- Preheat the oven to 390F/200C and toss the cooked and shredded chicken with the taco seasoning. Drizzle the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a high heat for 5 minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Sprinkle the cayenne pepper and flour into the frying pan and stir. Leave to cook for 2 minutes until you can really smell the cayenne pepper.
- Stir in the tomato puree and stock and leave to cook over a high heat for a further five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir 1/4 of the tomato sauce into the cooked and shredded chicken.
- Lie the four tortillas on a flat surface and spread one side of each tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce.
- Evenly divide the chicken between the four tortillas and sprinkle a small amount of cheese on top of each pile of chicken.
- Spread about 1/4 of a cup of the tomato sauce on a 9"x9" baking tray.
- Roll up each filled tortilla and place open side down onto the tomato sauce inside the baking tray.
- Spread the rest of the tomato sauce over the top of the rolled up tortillas.
- Sprinkle with the cooked chicken skin and Mexican cheese.
- Place the enchiladas into the pre-heated oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese has melted.
- Top the enchiladas with fresh coriander and serve.
Linking up to these link parties.