This easy vegan chili recipe deserves a place on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You know why? Because it is the one and only vegan I've ever served to my boyfriend which he loved and asked for seconds of. Okay, so he might have covered it with cheese before devouring it, but that's not the point. To normal people, this healthy vegan chili tastes amazing, without the need to cover it in totally non-vegan cheese.
This recipe is based on my recipe for The Best Ever Chili - which you should totally check out, too - but instead of being full of ground beef, this veg chili recipe is loaded with three different types of beans! I used a combination of black beans, kidney beans and pinto beans, but you can use whichever beans you've got. It doesn't make much of a difference - all beans are packed full of nutrition, fiber and are just really good for you. So get eating!
My favourite thing about this simple vegan chili recipe is that it's so versatile. You don't have to eat it in a bowl on top of a bed of boiled white rice - that's the normal way to eat chili right? Sure, you can eat it the traditional way - but sub white rice for brown rice, quinoa or couscous for an added health kick! Or you can get out the tortillas and use it to make fajitas, enchiladas or burritos! You could even use it in place of a meat sauce in lasagna or spaghetti bolognese. Again, if you're going to use pasta, opt for whole wheat or vegetable pasta for added nutrition.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it's totally made from scratch. You won't find any pre-made chili sauces here! But please don't let that put you off! All you need to do is chop up a few vegetables, cook them in a pan, then stir in the beans, tomatoes and spices. Seriously - there's no hardcore kitchen expertise needed here. Then in just 30 minutes, you'll have a delicious vegan chilli recipe from scratch you made all yourself.
Meatless Mondays are about to get more interesting!
Vegan - high protein - low fat - low sugar - zero cholesterol - gluten-free
Easy 30-Minute Vegan Chili Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ green bell pepper diced
- ¼ red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 100 g /3.5oz black beans
- 100 g /3.5oz kidney beans
- 50 g /1.8oz pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 250 g tomato sauce
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Stir in the diced onion and bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes, until the veggies soften.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the three beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce. Make sure everything is well combined and all the spices are evenly distributed throughout the chili.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and leave the chili to simmer for 10 minutes, until the sauce is thick.
- Serve immediately whilst hot with your favourite side dish. Brown rice or quinoa come highly recommended!
Linking up to these link parties.