Don’t you just love it when there is bacon in the fridge that needs using up? It doesn’t happen very often in the Pink Recipe Box household, but when it does, I put bacon in everything. Absolutely everything. Which is how this breakfast tostada recipe came to be. A crunchy whole wheat tortilla loaded with light and fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp bacon and ooey-gooey melted cheese – all topped off with a punch of fresh chives. Seriously – this egg tostada is heaven on a plate.
I think I might be the only person in the world who likes Mondays. Especially right now. After spending weeks (yes, literally weeks) designing our kitchen, we began the renovation process last Friday. Following on from the fun of shopping (Which was so much more work than I ever imagined. How is it so difficult to give people money these days?! #firstworldproblems) we had to tear our old kitchen down.
My Official Treat Taster and I work Monday to Friday during the daytime, which means we’ve only got weekends and a few hours on an evening to make noise. The result? I’ve been cooking our food in the microwave and washing up three to four times a day in my bathroom sink for a week now. So after a weekend of what I call never-ending manual labour, I’m more than happy to sit at my desk this Monday with TV on one monitor and a word document open on the other, you know? Today, work feels more relaxing than my weekend.
So after a tough weekend, I need an indulgent and yet easy-to-make breakfast. This is where this tostada recipe comes in. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is incredibly versatile, so no matter what ingredients you have on hand, you can always make it. Better yet, if you’re not a veggies-in-the-morning person, you can skip the veggies altogether! Or eat it for lunch instead. Or maybe a snack? If someone offered me this tostada for a snack, I think I’d love them forever.
So I’ve got a question for you – do you know how to eat a tostada? I begin by picking mine up whole and biting into it, like a mini pizza, but it usually breaks apart and I resort to attacking it with my knife and fork. Let’s strike up a deal, if I show you how to make a tostada, you tell me how to eat one!
Easy Breakfast Tostada
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 2 rashers bacon chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- handful fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C and place a large frying pan over a high heat.
- Leave the pan for 5 minutes to heat up and then cook the tortilla in the dry pan for 3-4 minutes on each side until brown and crisp. When cooked, place the tortilla inside the oven to keep warm.
- Drizzle the olive oil in the frying pan and stir in the chopped peppers and onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the bacon rashers and cook to your liking.
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. Pour into the frying pan and stir, stir, stir. Cook for about 2 minutes until you've got scrambled eggs.
- Remove the tortilla from the oven and spread the veggie and scrambled egg mixture on top. Sprinkle on the grated cheese and place the tortilla back in the oven for about 5 minutes, to let the cheese melt. Alternatively, attack the cheese with a kitchen blow torch to melt.
- Sprinkle on the fresh chives then serve.
Linking up to these link parties.