Popsicles for breakfast on a healthy eating blog? That’s right! Although it might sound like a really unhealthy thing to have for breakfast, these breakfast popsicles are really nutritious and good for you! Loaded with protein-packed Greek yogurt, wholesome fiber-filled granola and oodles of anti-oxidants from the mixture of berries, these breakfast popsicles will keep you going until lunchtime and will satisfy all you foodies who have a sweet tooth first thing in the morning.
Now that we’re almost half way through April (how did that happen?!) the mornings are starting to get warmer and I’m more open to cold breakfast ideas. In winter, all I want is a great big bowl of piping hot oatmeal (especially if it’s healthy chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal!) but by spring, I’m usually up for something sweet, fruity and cool – that’s exactly what these popsicles are. You know how experts tell you to drink a glass of icy water first thing in the morning to wake up? Try nibbling on one of these breakfast popsicles instead – they’re way better!
I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but this breakfast popsicles recipe? It’s not just for breakfast – you can enjoy these babies any time of the day! In fact, it’s just gone 4pm and to keep the Monday back-to-work blues at bay, I’m working my way through one right now. The fruitiness from the berries, the creaminess from the yogurt and the chewiness from the granola…seriously – Monday blues don’t stand a chance with these popsicles!
Worried a yogurt popsicle recipe won’t fill you up enough for breakfast? If you use the same mould I do, that is not going to be an issue, seriously. This Tovolo ice pop mould makes six seriously huge ice pops – definitely big enough to keep hunger away until lunch time or you’re next meal if you’re making them to snack on. Plus, because this is a greek yogurt popsicle recipe, all the extra protein in the Greek yogurt, along with the fiber from the oats in the granola, help to keep you feeling fuller for longer and give you the energy to get through any day – no matter how busy!
vegetarian – gluten-free – low-fat
Granola Berry Breakfast Popsicles
- 1 cup mixed berries (I used a frozen mix of strawberries raspberries, blackberries, black currants and red currants)
- 1 tablespoon stevia powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup granola
- Place the mixed berries, stevia powder and water into a small saucepan over a high heat and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat down to medium and leave the berries to cook for 10 minutes, until they're soft and most of them have broken down. Make sure you stir the berries every couple of minutes so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- To assemble, layer each of your Tovolo ice pop moulds with 2 tablespoons of the mixed berry mixture, 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons of granola. Repeat until each mould is full.
- Pop the ice pop sticks on top of the moulds and leave in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set.