Crunchy golden brown toasts topped with mouth-watering cured ham, buttery smashed chickpeas and a heavenly poached egg with a runny yolk. This breakfast toast recipe is the stuff dreams are made of!
I adore really fancy gourmet recipes that are super-simple and fast to make at home. You know the kind of thing I’m on about. 100-Calorie No-Bake Cheesecakes that wouldn’t look out of place at a top end restaurant, Skinny Strawberry Bird Nest Donuts that look like they came straight from a bakery and Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Box Cakes that you’d expect to see at your local ice cream parlour. Well, I can now add these Ham, Smashed Chickpea and Poached Egg Breakfast Toasts onto the simple gourmet recipes you can make at home list!
I’m a firm believer in eating your largest calorie-dense meal at the start of the day. The theory is as your day goes on, you use up fewer calories so your biggest meal should be your first and your smallest meal should be your last. It’s what the phrase, “Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a pauper,” refers to. So although this recipe does pack a few calories, it is super filling and will give you all the energy you need to get you through the morning. If you want to cut down on your calorie intake or just don’t want a really big breakfast first thing in the morning, only make one toast instead of two.
I used jamon serrano for the ham, which is a cured ham similar to proscuitto. It’s got a really intense flavour and deliciously soft, wafer-thin texture which works amazingly with the chickpeas and poached egg. But if you’re not into cured ham, you can use ordinary deli-style ham or even bacon if you’ve got the time to cook it. If you’re one of those people who never has time to make a proper breakfast in the morning, this dish totally works for lunch or even dinner, too 🙂
Ham, Smashed Chickpea and Poached Egg Breakfast Toasts
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices ham
- 1/3 cup /80g/3oz cooked and drained chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Place a small saucepan full of water on a high heat and bring to the boil.
- When boiling, reduce the heat down a touch, crack in each of the eggs and cooked until they're poached to your liking.
- Whilst the water is boiling, place the bread into the toaster and toast to your liking.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas in a microwave-safe dish and cook in the microwave for one minute, or until hot and soft enough to mash.
- Mash the chickpeas in the bowl with the back of a fork and stir in the stock and salt.
- To assemble, top each slice of toast with 1 slice of ham, 1/2 the smashed chickpea mixture and one poached egg.