Being without a kitchen for more than three months has made me get a lot more creative when it comes to breakfast dishes. Normally, I make pancakes on the weekend – these healthy oatmeal pancakes are one of my favourite pancake recipes – but since cooking anything in a frying pan requires me to sit outside with a gas-powered camping stove, I’ve been experimenting with my waffle iron more and more.
This homemade healthy waffles recipe is by far my favourite waffle recipe I’ve ever created. I adapted the waffle base from my healthy chocolate cake waffles and topped them with the most delicious cinnamon apples because we’re in September now and that’s all the excuse I need to serve fall flavours for every meal.
Normally, I’d make the cinnamon apple topping on the stove in a saucepan, but this time I did it in the microwave – again, because I don’t have a kitchen. Although the apple chunks don’t get the wonderful caramelised outsides when you cook them this way, they do have the same flavour, are faster to cook and create less mess. And who could say no to that?
Since I eat oats in some way, shape or form every morning – seriously, I think I’m addicted! – you’ll also find them in these waffles. But that’s not the only reason they’re healthy, there’s whole wheat flour in them, too, along with brown sugar, skimmed milk and only 1 tablespoon of olive oil per serving. One word of advice – do not try to leave out the oil. If you do this, the waffles will stick to your waffle iron and you’ll be scrubbing it for weeks in an attempt to get it clean.
With so many nutritious ingredients, you’ll never have to feel guilty about eating these healthy waffles with oatmeal – even if they taste and look like dessert! Plus they’re so quick and easy to make – whip up the batter and cook it in the waffle iron, cut up an apple and bang it in the microwave – you can even treat yourself to a plate of whole wheat waffles on a weekday morning without having to wake up too early.
Healthy Apple Pie Waffles
for the waffles
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup skimmed milk
for the apple pie topping
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
for the waffles
- Turn on your waffle iron and leave it to heat up.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar and baking powder.
- Crack in the egg and pour in the oil and milk.
- Stir everything together until you've got a well-combined waffle batter.
- Evenly pour the batter into the sections of your waffle maker and leave to cook for 5-6 minutes.
for the cinnamon apple topping
- Peel and core a whole green apple and slice into small cubes.
- Toss the apple cubes with the cinnamon and cook in the microwave for around 4 minutes, until soft. Alternatively, cook the cinnamon-covered apple with 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan for 4 minutes, until the outsides begin to turn dark brown.
- Place the waffles onto a serving plate, spoon on the cinnamon apples and serve.