Chocolate chip cookie dough that’s 100% safe to eat (no raw eggs here!); only 90 calories per serving and really, honestly, truly tastes like the most incredible cookie dough ever. That’s just 3 wonderful things these healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bars are! Get ready to discover your new favourite healthy snack you won’t be able to get enough of!
When I first set out making these healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bars, I never actually planned on sharing them with you. I was inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie’s Healthy Chocolate Chip Blondies and tweaked the recipe, making it a teensy bit healthier and in a smaller batch. Because no matter how healthy your snacks are, if you’re the only one eating them and you’ve got 16 of them sitting on the counter, that’s never a good thing!
But as soon as I bit into a fresh-from-the-oven bar, I just knew I absolutely had to share the recipe with you as soon as I could. If you’ve got a bad case of the Monday blues today, this healthy snack recipe is totally going to turn that around.
This recipe is another one of those wonderful throw-everything-into-a-food-processor-and-bake ones. (Just like The Best Ever Healthy Banana Bread Muffins!) Aka, my favourite type of recipe. When it comes to some recipes, it’s really important how you add the ingredients and in what order. But not when it comes to these healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bars! They were made for the hungry foodie who wants chocolate and they want it now.
As well as a food processor, there is 1 more piece of equipment you’ll need if you want this healthy dessert to be easy-peasy to make. I baked my bars in a 6×6″ baking pan. But I don’t actually own a 6×6″ baking pan. So how did I do it? I used my trusty multi-size cake pan. I love this thing so much it’s embarrassing. You can use it to bake anything from 1″ in width up to 12″ in width. And you can even use it to bake up to 2, 3 or 4 evenly sized things at the same time. Seriously – get it in your shopping basket. Or at least on your Christmas list!
If you’ve been disappointed by healthy dessert recipes using chickpeas in the past, I beg you to try this one because it will change everything. I make healthy brownies and blondies with chickpeas all the time and I’ve totally mastered the balance of legumes to fats (healthy ones, of course!), grains and sweetener so you get the most perfect cookie dough texture in the world without any of the nasty chickpea flavour.
I mean, chickpeas are great and all, but no-one wants them in their cookie dough!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- 3/4 cups chickpeas, cooked + drained
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (you can substitute with any other kind of nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons milk (use whatever kind of dairy or non-dairy milk you like)
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a 6x6" baking pan with parchment paper. Place all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) into a food processor and blend for 3 minutes, until you have a smooth batter. You might have to scrape down the insides of the processor a few times to make sure everything is properly mixed up.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the edges and the tops are firm to the touch. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack.
- When totally cool, slice into 9 squares and enjoy!