I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to make these healthy oatmeal cupcakes. I’ve seen all sorts of variations on Pinterest, but it wasn’t until last weekend that I made a batch for myself. I love oats – from traditional bowls of steaming hot breakfast oatmeal and the less traditional overnight oats to oatmeal muffins and granola bars, so it’s no real surprise that I love these baked oatmeal cupcakes, too. And if you love healthy sweet treats that taste like dessert but are nutritious enough for breakfast, then you’ll love these, too!
Not that I could ever eat one of these oatmeal chocolate chip cupcakes as my entire breakfast, mind you. Maybe with a slice of toast, a croissant or a crumpet, but not on its own. After a night’s sleep I’m always starving and need something more more substantial than a healthy cupcake or muffin to fill me up in the morning. Which is why you’ll usually find me nibbling on one of these for a mid-afternoon snack.
One thing I need to make clear – you really need to store these oatmeal cupcakes in the fridge. I left mine at room temperature and within five days they were getting mouldy. Thing is I didn’t actually realise this until it was too late. And by “too late” I mean I was already chewing on the thing, thinking “this tastes really weird” before I looked down and saw the thin coating of mould growing over the top of it. Ick.
So store these babies in the fridge and eat them all within seven days at the most. But since they taste so amazing, you probably won’t struggle working your way through them in a few days, let alone one who week. Seriously – for a healthy oatmeal muffin recipe, they are unbelievably delicious. The apple sauce helps keep them super moist (horrible word, I know!) whilst the oats give them their wonderfully chewy quality and really do fill you up.
Of course, I don’t have to tell you how good the addition of chocolate is because, hello, it’s chocolate! Although if you’re not into chocolate (I’ve heard that these people exist, although I’ve yet to meet one) you can swap out the 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips for nuts, dried fruit or whatever you prefer!
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line 8 muffin moulds with cupcake liners.
- In one bowl, beat together the egg, olive oil, apple sauce, skimmed milk and vanilla extract until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar, oats, baking powder and chocolate chips.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until the mixture comes together.
- Evenly divide the cupcake batter between the 8 lined muffin moulds and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving or storing inside a sealed container.
Linking up to these link parties.