We have no cereal bowls in our house. My Official Treat Taster had one cereal bowl, but within days of me moving in I accidentally smashed it on the floor, like I did with lots of stuff. And continue to do today.
So, whenever I want to eat any cereal, I’m stuck with either using a thimble-sized bowl like the ones in the picture or a giant two serving-size soup bowls which are very deceptive and have me eating waaaay more granola than anyone ever should. But hey – this chocolate granola is healthy, so what’s the harm in eating three portions, right?
I know, I know. Everyone is posting healthy recipes right now, but whilst my Pinterest feed is overloaded with salads and other stuff that doesn’t have nearly as many carbs as my body craves, I’m posting a healthy recipe which tastes indulgent and will leave you feeling full until lunchtime – honest!
This is the first time I’ve ever made granola and I absolutely love it. I eat chocolate pretty much every day and never turn down the chance to eat it for breakfast, so I knew I had to incorporate the popular flavour into my recipe somehow. But one of my many, many New Year’s resolutions is to continue making healthy choices, to I combined my love of chocolate and my goal of healthy eating into this fabulous healthy chocolate granola.
So much lower in sugar than the granola you can buy in the store, this healthy chocolate granola is super-simple to make, only takes a handful of ingredients and if you make up the whole batch, provides you with enough healthy breakfasts to last for the week. Win, win win!
Just a little note – this recipe does make some clusters. They’re just so irresistibly crunchy, sweet and delicious that I kinda ate them all before I took these photos. Please accept my apologies.
Healthy Chocolate Granola
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 300F/150C and line a baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a large bowl until everything is well combined.
- Spread the mixture out evenly onto the lined baking tray and place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Every ten minutes, open the oven and use a spoon to mix the granola up and turn it over so it crisps up nicely.
- When the granola is crunchy and firm, leave to cool completely on the baking tray before breaking up and storing it in an air-tight container.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!