Perfect for those mornings when you want a rich and gooey cinnamon roll but you haven’t got time to run out to Cinnabon and you don’t want to eat your week’s worth of calories in one meal. This healthy cinnamon roll overnight oats recipe is easy to make, quick to prepare and tastes delicious. Seriously, if you close your eyes and eat a spoonful of soft, gooey oats sprinkled with sweet cinnamon, you’ll think you really are having breakfast at Cinnabon!
We all need an army of quick and easy breakfast recipes we can call on for busy mornings, right? Well get ready to add this recipe to the top of your list! I love overnight oats because they’re so simple, versatile, fast and portable. Mix everything together the night before, scoop it all into a jar or container then take it with you to work or grab it from the fridge at home for breakfast. There’s absolutely no cooking, plating up or hassle involved.
When you prepare your breakfast in advance when you’re not hungry, in a rush or stressed, you’re so much more likely to make healthy choices. And when you’ve got a fridge full of jars of overnight oats, why would you want anything else for breakfast?
When I started developing these healthy cinnamon roll overnight outs, I was planning on making a bowl of ordinary oatmeal that tastes like a cinnamon roll. To see what other people were offering, I made up a bowl of cinnamon roll oatmeal from Mother Thyme. And you know what? It was way too sweet for me.
Me. The girl who can happily eat a bowl of double chocolate cheesecake overnight oats for breakfast and then go hunting for a snack seconds later. It would have made a great dessert, but for breakfast? Not for me. I guess cutting down on sugar and calmed down my sweet tooth! So instead I went in a slightly different direction and made healthy cinnamon roll overnight oats instead.
To get the recipe absolutely perfect, I ate these healthy cinnamon roll overnight oats for breakfast five days in a row! Even though each version tasted amazing, the final one was the one. The perfect amount of cinnamon swirl. The perfect amount of Greek yogurt and milk. And the perfect amount of cream cheese frosting on the top for a sweet Cinnabon twist. Perfect, perfect, perfect!
If you love healthy overnight oats that taste like dessert, you’ve got to try these recipes, too!
Healthy Cinnamon Roll Overnight Oats
For the oats
- 1/2 cup quick or rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (you can substitute artificial sweetener)
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (you can substitute natural or vanilla yogurt)
- 1/3 cup skimmed milk (you can substitute any milk)
For the icing swirl
- 1 tablespoon low-fat or fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
For the cinnamon syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (you can substitute artificial sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the oats: in a medium bowl, stir together the oats, sugar, yogurt and milk. Scoop into a sealed container and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- For the icing swirl: In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until smooth. Scoop into a piping bag (if you're feeling fancy) or place inside a sealed container and chill in the fridge.
- In the morning, make the cinnamon drizzle by stirring the cinnamon, brown sugar and water together in a tiny bowl. Cook in the microwave for 1 minute until the sugar has dissolved and a syrup forms.
- To assemble, scoop the oats into a serving bowl. Drizzle over the cinnamon syrup and then pipe or spread on the cream cheese swirl.