Since I originally published it in...I'm not even sure, this Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough Dip has been one of the most popular posts on Pink Recipe Box, despite the horrific and cringe-worthy photos.
My photography (and general writing) skills have improved loads since this post, so I thought I'd give it a bit of life and improve the writing, photography and SEO, too! When the time came to re-make the Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough Dip, I realised that in all honestly...it wasn't really that healthy. There was quite a lot of sugar in it. So instead of just re-doing the blog post, I made-over the recipe too, making it even healthier than before!
If you've followed Pink Recipe Box for a while, you might be aware that the first ever 'healthy' dessert I made with garbanzos was this Healthy Deep Dish Cookie Pie. That pie was pretty much a disaster because of the impossible-to-miss garbanzo smell and flavour which meant my Official Treat Taster wouldn't even touch it. Even though I love garbanzos, I really didn't like it that much either, but I think that was down to me over-cooking the pie than the recipe itself.
This time, the garbanzos have done me proud because I cannot get enough of this Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough Dip. I'm not going to lie - it doesn't taste exactly like regular cookie dough. There is a bit of an odd taste, but the garbanzos are not immediately identifiable as in the Healthy Deep Dish Cookie Pie.
When I first made the dip years ago, I offered a scoop of it on a cookie to My Garbanzo-Hating Official Treat Taster (without telling him what it was, of course) and his response was "It's unusual, isn't it?" which I immediately looked on as a victory. I told him what the main ingredient was and he threw me his favourite I-can’t-believe-you-tried-to-poison-me-with-something-remotely-healthy look and went back to playing games on his phone.
This Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough Dip is up there in my list of all-time healthy desserts, but I think that's because I like garbanzos. Every. Single. Day. I find myself returning to the fridge time and time again with a spoon to dig in, all the while feeling pretty good about myself because of the healthy ingredients. If you don't like (or even hate) garbanzos, then this recipe isn't for you, unfortunately.
Healthy Cookie Dough Dip
- 2 cups cooked garbanzos drained
- ¾ cup oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- Place all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) together in a food processor and process, process, process until you've got a smooth a mixture as you're ever going to get. This can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient! (But also make sure the motor on your food processor doesn't burn out.)
- Scoop the mixture out of the food processor into a bowl and tip in the chocolate chips.
- Stir until the chocolate chips are evenly distributed throughout and transfer to an air-tight container. Store in the fridge.
Recipe adapted from my old recipe which was adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie.