When I posted this recipe for Healthy Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Muffins, I never thought that it would be a hit with you guys. I thought you’d read the words “oat” and “bran” and run away screaming, straight to the nearest bakery to console yourself with a chocolate-glazed doughnut. Well, that’s what I would have done, anyway.
Turns out I was wrong. You guys want healthy recipes that not only are nutritious and good for you, but also actually taste good and are easy to make. When I put it like that, it’s kind of obvious.
So I decided to take that recipe in a new direction with these Healthy Double Chocolate Oat Bran Muffins. Just like the other muffins, these are packed with oat bran and other healthy, filling ingredients so you won’t be raiding the cookie jar between breakfast and lunch.
But whereas the other muffins stopped at the chocolate chips, I turned things up a notch and added cocoa powder. Fantastic idea! In fact, the idea was so fantastic that I can confidently say that these are the best double chocolate muffins I’ve ever had.
Yep – my favourite double chocolate muffin is a healthy one. I never thought I’d see the day. And you’re going to have to excuse the number of photos. These muffins were just so amazing I had to photo them from every angle I could think of in an attempt to get their awesomeness across.
Although they’re filling and hearty (for a lack of a better word) the texture is somewhat light. I wouldn’t go as far as calling them fluffy, but they’re not far off. There’s just enough sugar in them to make them sweet, but not so much that you think you’re eating a cupcake for breakfast. Which is pretty much what a muffin is, right? A cupcake for breakfast?
Don’t even argue with me. Some muffins even come with a “glaze” which is pretty much melted frosting. But these muffins are different. How so? They’re made of a combination of whole wheat flour, white all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, oat bran, brown sugar, egg, apple sauce, milk, dark chocolate chips and vegetable oil.
There’s only juuuuuust enough brown sugar to balance out the bitterness of the cocoa powder and a teeny tiny bit of vegetable oil (only 2 tablespoons for 6 muffins!) for…uhh…texture? I’m not entirely sure, but that doesn’t matter right now.
What does matter is how absolutely amazing this-is-all-I-ever-want-to-eat-for-breakfast-for-the-rest-of-my-life these muffins are. And I’m being totally honest – that’s how I feel. With the exception of a couple of BLT toasties every now and then because I love those, too. But these are my breakfast of choice when it comes to muffins. Without a doubt.
- 1/4 tablespoons + 2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and grease or line a six-mould muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, oat bran, flours, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt (all the dry muffin ingredients).
- Add in the egg, apple sauce, vegetable oil and milk (all the wet ingredients). Stir until everything is well combined and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the six muffin moulds.
- Push a few chocolate chips into the top of each muffin and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!