I finally did it! Since I saw this wonderful post on homemade Bailey’s Irish cream liqueur over one year ago, I’ve been wanting to make my own version. And with St Patrick’s Day coming up, I thought now was a great time to get in gear and whip up my own batch!
I’ve got quite a few important things to tell you about this recipe, so are you listening? I know it’s Friday and you’re probably dreaming about doing all sorts of fun weekend-y things – I know I am! – but if you want to make this Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream the very best it can be I need your absolute undivided attention.
First of all: room temperature ingredients. I can’t even begin to stress the importance of this. To make my version of Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream, you’ll be melting some chocolate then stirring the rest of the ingredients into it.
I suck at melting chocolate, so I’m not sure whether it’s just me or whether it is a worldwide fact that if you try mixing cold stuff into melted chocolate, you’ll end up with a separated clumpy mess at best. So – make sure all the ingredients you’re going to be stirring into your chocolate are at room temperature so you end up with a silky smooth drink – not a lumpy clumpy bin filler.
Secondly: (you need to have a bit of an open mind for this one) you don’t have to use whiskey. Hear me out. I hate whiskey on its own and only drink it in Bailey’s. My Official Treat Taster on the other hand can’t even stand the whiskey flavour in Bailey’s. So I wouldn’t have to suffer through puppy eyes and whimpers from him whilst sipping on this decadent treat, I made a few different versions subbing out the whiskey for other liqueurs.
In one batch I replaced the whiskey with homemade vanilla vodka and in another batch I replaced it with homemade Kahlua/Tia Maria. Both of them turned out wonderfully and tasted absolutely amazing. Okay, so technically the vanilla vodka and Kahlua versions weren’t actually Bailey’s Irish Cream, but they were so good that I just didn’t care.
So if you’re anything like me and hate Guinness – Except the shots called ‘Baby Guinness’. They’re amazing. Have you ever had one? I’ll have to post the recipe! – whip up a batch of this before March 17th (the recipe only makes two servings, so maybe make a few batches) and you’ll be able to sip on a sweet and velvety liqueur whilst everyone else has to drink green beer or black stuff that tastes worse than dish water.
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
- 1.25 oz /35g milk chocolate
- 2.8 oz /80g condensed milk at room temperature
- 3.7 oz /105g evaporated milk at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons milk at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coffee granules
- 4 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- In a double boiler - or if you're super-careful and don't burn chocolate really easily, the microwave - melt the milk chocolate.
- Stir in the condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk. If the mixture separates, gently heat it up again and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, coffee granules and Irish whiskey. I recommend adding in the whiskey one tablespoon at a time, so you don't overload it.
- Pour into a clean jar or bottle and store in the fridge.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!