A thin dark chocolate shell which cracks and breaks at the first bite, giving way to a smooth and creamy peanut butter cookie dough flecked with tiny dark chocolate chips. Not only is this snack healthy, but it’s also entirely gluten-free and vegan!
I feel like I need to put a disclaimer at the start of this post. Once you make these, you will not be able to stop eating them! So best make a double or triple batch. Maybe even a quadruple batch if you’re planning on sharing!
Seriously, guys. After I took the final photo, heck, after I pulled them out of the fridge before I’d taken any photos, I couldn’t stop eating these things! The recipe makes 6 healthy peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough cups but you can only ever see 3.5 in photos. That is not a photographer thing nor a coincidence. That’s because 3.5 cups was all I had left after walking the 12 steps from the fridge to the spot in my office where I take the photos. That’s how amazing these healthy snacks are!
I’m all about texture and these cookie dough cups have got so much of it! I originally used only a little bit of dark chocolate to keep the calorie content low (each cup is only 95 calories!) but it also helped create the most amazing texture sensation ever. When you keep these cups in the fridge (which you’ve totally got to in summer or you’ll end up with a melted chocolate mess all over your hands and, if you’re anything like me, your clothes, the floor, anything you touch for the next hour…) the outer chocolate shell cracks and breaks as soon as you bite into it, revealing the smooth and creamy cookie dough beneath. It’s like the most amazing contrast in the world. I swear, if I had any left, I’d be running to the fridge right now.
The cookie dough inside the cups is based on my Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough Dip Recipe, which is awesome in its own right. But cover it in something as simple as dark chocolate and you’ve got one of the best healthy snacks in the world!
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped up dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup cooked and drained chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons dark chocolate chips or chopped up dark chocolate
- Melt 1/4 cup of dark chocolate in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave. Tip: microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between to avoid burning.
- When melted, use the chocolate to cover the insides of 6 small silicone cups. This silicone mould is perfect.
- Place the silicone mould in the fridge for 10 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cookie dough. Place the chickpeas, oats, brown sugar, salt, peanut butter and vanilla extract into the bowl of a food processor and process for 1 minute until the chickpeas are totally broken down and everything is combined. You might have to scrape down the insides of the food processor a few times to make sure everything gets properly mixed up.
- Stir in the chocolate chips or chopped up dark chocolate with a spoon.
- When the chocolate has set, press 1 tablespoon of the cookie dough into each mould and flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Use the remaining melted chocolate to spread on top of the cookie dough, sealing it into the cup.
- Return the silicone mould to the fridge and leave to set for at least another 10 minutes.