Here is a recipe I thought I would never, ever share on my blog. Even though I love taking popular recipes and making them healthy (seriously – I prefer these healthy double chocolate brownies to ordinary brownies!) I’ve never really got on with healthy snacks made from nuts and dates. That is until I made these babies. They are the closest healthy snack you’ll ever get to a dense, rich, fudge-like chocolate brownie, I swear.
Inspired by this recipe from Jessica in the Kitchen, I scooped up some nuts, chopped dates and cocoa powder into my food processor, preparing to be disappointed by yet another healthy snack recipe that swore it was going to be amazing. It’s not like I don’t want to love healthy, nutritious treats. I really do! I’ve just been let down by so many recipes so far that I wasn’t expecting much. Maybe that’s why I was so shocked when these delicious bite-sized pieces of heaven turned out to be one of the most delicious snacks I’ve ever had the pleasure of nibbling on!
They’re seriously chocolatey (without the use of any actual chocolate – how great is that?!), oh-so fudge-like, incredibly rich and genuinely satisfying. Everything I want from a healthy treat! And because they’re so luscious, you can get away with only eating one or two of them and feeling 100% happy, treated and satisfied without overdoing it. I don’t know about you, but after eating one brownie, I just want another and another and another…
One thing I do need to warn you about with these paleo raw brownie bites is the noise they make when you’re making them! Throw hard nuts into a food processor and you’ve got to expect some noise, but seriously? I had no idea just how much noise they would make! I was surprised the neighbours weren’t banging on the door telling me to stop! So best make these in the middle of the day, when the neighbours are out and none of your family members are asleep, okay?
Raw recipes are something I’m really looking forward to getting into and after this raw brownie bites recipe, you can bet I’ll be following up with a raw brownie recipe not too far in the future.
Gluten-Free – Paleo – Raw – Vegan
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Place all the ingredients into a high-powered food processor and process for around 5 minutes, until all the ingredients have been totally broken down and you're left with a thick dough. You'll probably have to scrape the insides of the food processor down a couple of times with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is combined.
- When you've got a thick dough, scoop out 1 tablespoon-sized pieces and roll each one into a ball. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly to form balls, wet your hands with water and try rolling the balls again.
- Store the brownie bites inside a sealed container in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
Linking up to these link parties.