We’re going back to basics today with a post on how to make your own pizza sauce at home. Everyone loves homemade pizza, right? But how many of you go to the trouble of making your own homemade pizza sauce after taking all that time to make your own dough?
I’m betting not a lot! That’s where this recipe comes in – it’s so simple and quick to make that you won’t mind spending a few more minutes in the kitchen. Especially not if you get to savour the amazing aroma and taste of homemade pizza sauce – all the while knowing you’re the one who made it!
Can we take a second to talk about can openers? What kind of can opener do you use? My Official Treat Taster bought me an electric can opener last year and it’s great…when it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. It depends what kind of mood it’s in, you know? Anyway, my electric tin opener gave up about 1/5 of the way when opening the tomato paste can, so I had to struggle to free the can and then attempt to open it using a regular tin opener.
The result was NOT pretty. Luckily I didn’t loose any blood, but there was blood-like tomato paste oozing out of the sides of the can, smeared across the stove, layered across the worktops and squished on the floor. Sometimes I don’t think I’m cut out for this whole cooking thing.
And speaking of My Official Treat Taster, do you know what his favourite pizza sauce was before we moved in together? Tomato paste. That’s right – plain tomato paste spread on a pizza base. That’s actually a lie. No, not the whole tomato paste thing, but about how it was before we moved in together. His favourite pizza sauce still is plain tomato paste – he prefers it over my homemade pizza sauces. I feel like such a failure in the kitchen sometimes.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock or water if you're not a fan of wine
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and toss in the onion and garlic. Cook for around 30 seconds or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the oregano, basil and paprika. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Pour in the white wine and leave for 3 minutes or so to reduce.
- Stir in the tomato paste, water and white sugar. Leave for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Store in the fridge in a jar or use straight away to make delicious homemade pizzas!
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!