It's Monday morning. The start of a new week and the start of a new day. If you're not a fan of Monday mornings (who is?!) this healthy breakfast recipe is for you. Loaded with oats to keep you full until lunch time, chia seeds to keep you in fighting-fit condition and fresh, fruity tastes to remind you that it's June 1st and summer is here! If there ever was a time for this overnight oats recipe, it's Monday morning.
I started out going for a key lime pie overnight oats recipe when I set out to make this. But Lidl had a deal on strawberries that week and my fridge was absolutely bursting with the small red fruits. I hate waste, so I combined the lime juice with fresh strawberries and mixed them in with my oats. I'm a total chocolate fiend - yes, even first thing in the morning - and knew this recipe needed a little something extra. White chocolate chips!
I've been incorporating chia seeds into all my ordinary and overnight oatmeal recipes purely for their nutritional benefits. If you hate the texture or don't want to splash out on the super seed (let's face it - chia seeds aren't exactly cheap, are they?) you can totally leave them out. You don't even need to change any ingredients in the recipe - just follow the instructions and quantities as they are in the recipe card and forget about the chia seeds. You'll still get the same wonderful texture and heavenly taste.
I love love LOVE lime juice, so I use the juice of one whole lime to make these overnight oats in a jar. Such a strong burst of citrus first thing in the morning always wakes me up! If you'd rather have a more subtle lime zing, feel free to use the juice of half a lime instead.
Interested in some more overnight oats recipes? Try Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Overnight Oats, Double Chocolate Raspberry Overnight Oats, Healthy Cookie Dough Overnight Oats or Lemon Raspberry Overnight Oats.
- 4 strawberries
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup natural or Greek yoghurt
- ⅓ cup milk
- juice of 1 lime
- Chop up the strawberries and divide them into 3 piles. Place the first pile of strawberries into the bottom of the serving jar.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Scoop half of the overnight oats mixture into the jar.
- Top with the second pile of strawberries and scoop the rest of the overnight oat mixture on top.
- Decorate with the final pile of strawberries, screw on the lid and place the jar in the fridge for at least 8 hours.