You asked and I delivered! This Healthy Deep Dish Breakfast Cookie has been one of the most popular recipes on my blog since I first published it almost three years ago, but there was definitely room for improvement. Although it tastes amazing (really - it does!) I got a few comments from people who had made it asking for an even healthier version - and here it is! I kept pretty much the same ingredients, but added a couple of nutritional extras and substituted a few others. The result is an indulgent-feeling breakfast dish that really does taste like a chocolate chip cookie-cake combo, but is actually really good for you!
I'm definitely a sweet-over-savoury person when it comes to breakfast. And I'm guessing you are, too. Otherwise you wouldn't be here reading how you can eat a cookie/cake for breakfast without feeling like a pig! So if you love a little bit of something sweet in the morning, this healthy breakfast cookie is definitely going to be your thing. Not only is it sweet, but you eat it straight from the microwave, when the sponge is springy and warm and the chocolate is melted. How could that not cheer you up first thing in the morning?!
I'm not going to lie to you - there are a few specialist ingredients you need to make this super healthy chocolate chip cookie breakfast cake. Namely organic chia seeds and stevia powder. Strictly speaking, you don't need to use organic chia seeds, you can use ordinary chia seeds, but I use organic ones, so that's what I suggest. There's one more thing I need to tell you before we go onto the recipe - you need to use whole wheat flour. Don't try using coconut flour or oat flour. They don't work - I've tried. The texture will be hard, thick and just yuck. Not light and fluffy like it should be!
vegetarian - cholesterol-free - high in iron - high in fiber - high in protein
- ⅓ cup oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon organic chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 teaspoons dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup fat-free sugar-free natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon [peanut butter|https://happyhealthymotivated.com/how-to-make-healthy-peanut-butter-in-the-nutribullet/
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, organic chia seeds, stevia powder and 1 teaspoon chocolate chips.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and drop in the yogurt and peanut butter.
- Stir everything together to form a dough-like substance. Make sure you really mash the oats into the peanut butter so the peanut butter gets mixed in thoroughly.
- Scoop the mixture into a ramekin that holds at least 1 cup in volume and sprinkle the final teaspoon of chocolate chips on top.
- Place in the microwave and cook on full power for 90 seconds.
Linking up to these link parties.
Krissy @ Pretty Wee Things
Yum! Looks delicious! xx
Thanks so much, Krissy 🙂