I know, I know. It's only Boxing Day and I'm already loading you up with New Year's Eve cocktail recipes! My gut tells me that I should be sharing Christmas leftover recipes, but my crazy partying head is yelling at my to get as many New Year's Eve drink recipes out before it's too late!
No matter what time of year it is, I'm always up for a good mojito and since I'm currently all over fresh grapefruit, I thought I'd share this version with you. I used "Pomelos Rosas" (Rose Grapefruits) in this recipe - they're the ones with the blood-red centres, not sure what they're called in English - which are a bit sweeter than the other kind of grapefruit.
They're still pretty tart though, which is why I add one tablespoon of brown sugar into the bottom of each glass before serving, which you're meant to mix into the cocktail whilst you drink it. If you don't like the idea of stirring raw sugar into this jazzed-up mojito recipe and can't stand the thought of crunching down on raw sugar, feel free to leave the brown sugar out altogether or substitute it with simple syrup, honey or even grenadine.
I wasn't feeling my best last New Year's Eve and instead of going out, My Official Treat Taster and I walked over the beach where we live, snuggled up under a blanket and watched around ten different firework displays from all over the island! I thought it was the most amazing NYE ever, but he really wasn't that phased. Men, eh? Anyway, this year I've got my silver sequin dress, matching shoes and bright pink blazer to complement my party face so we're planning on hitting the town!
We don't really throw parties around here and despite my almost-never-ending optimism, even I think this mojito recipe is a bit fancy to be serving up at a party - unless you prep loads in advance and just hand them out one to each guest as a welcome drink. On the other hand, if you're off to a party yourself or are going out celebrating, this cocktail recipe makes for an awesome pre-celebration drink you can sip whilst getting ready.
So the nosy child in me would love to know - what are you getting up to for New Year's Eve? Throwing an incredible party? Hitting the town and dancing until dawn? Or snuggling up at home with a steaming mug of Winter Snowflake Cocktail?
- 4 oz rum
- juice of 2 grapefruits about 6oz
- 4 oz Sprite/7up
- 20 leaves ish mint + extra for serving
- tablespoons juice of 1 lime about 2
- 4 ice cubes + 4 for serving
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place the rum, grapefruit juice, mint leaves, lime juice and 4 ice cubes into a blender.
- Pulse a couple of times until everything gets mixed up and the ice is roughed up a bit.
- Evenly divide the brown sugar between 2 glasses.
- Place 2-4 ripped up mint leaves on top of the brown sugar in each glass.
- Drop 2 ice cubes into each glass on top of the mint leaves.
- Fill each glass up with the cocktail mix from the blender and serve.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!