Get ready for a life-changing recipe. Seriously! These healthy banana bread muffins have the most incredible light and fluffy texture, wonderful sweet banana flavour and loads of ooey-gooey melted chocolate chips. And they're 100% paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free and clean eating (sugar-free). Sounds too good to be true? I swear it's not!
It's been a long time since I've been so excited about a recipe as I am about these healthy banana bread muffins. Since cutting out all sugar, dairy, grains and legumes, food hasn't really appealed to me and when I look back through my recent blog posts, I can totally tell. And for that, I can't apologise enough.
But these healthy banana bread muffins have re-awoken the foodie in me. They've given me the boost of inspiration I needed to get back into the kitchen and make healthy, nutritious versions of the not-so-healthy foods we all love. And now you've got the recipe, you can re-awaken the awesome foodie inside you, too!
These healthy banana bread muffins are made with blanched almond flour. You can make your own at home by grinding down skinless almonds in a high-speed blender. I recommend the NutriBullet because it's super quick, crazy simple and easy-peasy to clean. Or you can totally just buy blanched almond flour on Amazon. I think it might even work out cheaper that way.
Since blanched almond flour = ground down almonds. So I thought there was no way it was going to give these healthy banana bread muffins a half decent texture. And I was right: it didn't give them a half decent texture. It gave them the lightest, fluffiest, most cloud-like texture in the world! You'll honestly never believe it. Almond flour is the king of paleo, gluten-free flours.
I did plan on making banana bread when I first set out with this recipe. But it takes like 1 hour to bake and I just didn't want to wait that long. These healthy banana bread muffins on the other hand come together in just 30 minutes. I sped the process up by mixing the batter in my NutriBullet which does it perfectly in literally seconds without the need of scraping down the sides or any of that nonsense.
Then all you've got to do is stir the chocolate chips in, pour the batter into the liners and bake. 20 minutes later you've got the most heavenly fluffy-as-a-cloud muffins in the world! Ooh. And they're studded with ooey-gooey melted chocolate chips. I know dairy-free chocolate can be tricky to get a hold of outside Europe, so I recommend using Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips.
Eat them with almond butter for breakfast, as a side dish with your salad for lunch or for dessert after dinner. I don't care how you eat them - as long as you give them a try because I don't think I could live with myself if I kept the secret about baking with almond flour all to myself!
The Best Ever Healthy Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips separated
- Preheat the oven to 375F/160C and line a muffin tin with 6 paper liners. Place all the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) into a high-powered blender like a NutriBullet and blend until completely smooth.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips into the batter and divide evenly between the 6 paper liners. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the muffin batter and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and leave to cool in the muffin tin on a wire rack before storing inside a Ziploc bag or air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.