I’m being serious, guys – this really is the best ever healthy brownie recipe. Inspired by my healthy chocolate chip cookie bar recipe, these brownies have the most amazing fudge-like texture, thin crisp topping and intense chocolate flavour that is so drool-worthy you’ll swear you’re enjoying a full-fat treat and not something that is actually only 116 calories a piece!
A good chocolate brownie recipe is definitely my dessert of choice – no matter what else is available. I just can’t get enough of the deep chocolate flavour which appears two fold in this recipe – firstly in the unsweetened cocoa powder which combines with the chickpeas to create the most gorgeous ooey-gooey brownie ever and secondly in the milk chocolate chips which burst through in every mouthful.
Honestly – if it was a choice between a full-fat full-sugar brownies recipe and this lightened-up version, I really do think I’d choose this one. Plus, since they’re gluten-free (as long as you use gluten-free oats and chocolate chips) and don’t contain any eggs, they’re ideal for people following specific diets.
I cut the brownies into 16 pieces to keep the calorie count as low as possible. Despite the bite-sized portions of the chocolate treats, the deep chocolate flavour and fudgy texture which I just can’t big up enough mean that one mouthful is enough to leave you feeling pleasantly happy and keep your chocolate craving at bay.
If you prefer your brownies to be more cake-like than fudge-like, this recipe definitely isn’t one for you. Even if you bake them longer than the recommended 25 minutes, these brownies won’t dry out and turn cakey. If you’re after a healthy cake-like brownie, you’re much better off with this healthy chocolate brownie recipe.
Fudgy chocolate brownies do it for me every time, but how do you prefer your brownies – dense and fudgy or fluffy and cake-like?
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas cooked, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup natural or Greek yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a 9"x9" baking tin with parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips into the bowl of your food processor and mix on a medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until everything is well combined and the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Place the milk chocolate chips into the processor and pulse a couple of times until the chocolate chips are evenly distributed.
- Scoop the brownie batter into the lined baking tray and bake the brownies in the oven for 25 minutes, until a thin crust develops on top.
- Leave the brownies to cool in the baking tray set on top of a wire rack for a couple of hours before slicing into 16 even servings.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!