Rich and fudgy double chocolate donuts bursting with small pockets of melted chocolate chips, smothered in a simple dark chocolate glaze and a generous dose of sprinkles (because why not?!) once you've had a bite of these baked chocolate donuts, you'll never want an ordinary fried one ever again!
Whenever we walk past a donut shop, I cannot stop myself from standing at the window and staring at all the beautiful pastries in super-imaginative flavours. And after I've made a sufficiently large drool mark on the window, it's only polite that I go in and actually buy a donut or two, right? Thankfully, there are hardly any donut shops on the island where I live. I actually only know of one and that's about a 90-minute drive away, so it's not like I'm there often.
But whenever we go to the UK or the US, I'm all over donut shops. Whether it's Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme, I just cannot get enough of the fried crispy rounds of pastry stuffed with all kinds of delicious fillings and slathered in mouth-watering gooey toppings. The Spanish aren't big on fancy donuts. Apart from at the super-cool donut shop I mentioned above, you can only really get plain ring donuts coated in sugar here and they're not great. But since I've got a real issue with stuffing donuts in my face, maybe that's a good thing.
If you love donuts anywhere near as much as me, this healthy chocolate donut recipe is going to be a total life-saver! These donuts are baked in a six-hole donut pan in the oven instead of fried in a deep fryer. I love my non-stick Wilton donut pan and 100% recommend it to anyone who wants to make their own donuts at home!
Not only do these healthy chocolate donuts save you some serious fat and calories because they're baked and not fried, but they also contain no added fat and only a tiny bit of sugar, helping cut the calories down even further!
The yogurt and the applesauce help keep the donuts moist and spongy, whilst the unsweetened cocoa powder adds a delicious depth of chocolate flavour you can't get from melted chocolate alone. The dark chocolate glaze adds a wonderfully sweet touch, whilst the sprinkles on top are there for a pop of colour and to add some fun, because donuts should always equal fun!
Healthy Triple Chocolate Donuts with a Dark Chocolate GlazePrint Pin Rate
for the donuts
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1.8 oz /50g chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup fat-free sugar-free yogurt
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the chocolate glaze
- 0.7 oz /25g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C and separate the egg.
- Place the egg white in a medium-size bowl and whip with an electric whisk until you've got stiff peaks. You should be able to turn the bowl upside down without having anything fall out.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking powder and dark chocolate.
- Mix in the yogurt, applesauce, vanilla extract and egg yolk until you've got a thick batter.
- Carefully fold the whipped egg white into the thick batter. This is what will keep your donuts light and sponge-like, so be very careful not to over-beat!
- Scoop the donut batter into a piping bag and pipe into 6 molds of a Wilton non-stick donut pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are spongy to the touch and a toothpick - when inserted into the centre - comes out clean.
- Leave the donuts to cool in their pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. When cool, tip the donuts out onto a plate.
- For the chocolate glaze, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave in 20-minute intervals, stirring in between to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Evenly spread the melted chocolate onto the top of the donuts using a teaspoon and cover in sprinkles.
Leave a Reply