Looking for some motivation this Monday morning to get yourself out of bed, get down to the gym and have an awesomely productive week? Here it is! Seriously, if there was ever a reason to get out of bed in the morning, this perfect grilled cheese is it. And I’m really not exaggerating when I say it’s the perfect grilled cheese. Yes, there are a few steps to follow since all the ingredients need to be cooked separately, but it’s so worth it. Believe me!
On second thoughts, no. Don’t believe me. Instead, get into the kitchen and make this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich for yourself! Then you’ll see how fabulous it really is. And whilst you’re in there, make me one too? Please?
This grilled cheese recipe is totally meat-free and veggie-friendly, which I know might be a bit of a blow to some of you. If you simply can’t manage your first meal of the day without a hit of bacon, try this Easy Breakfast Tostada instead. But if you don’t mind a veggie meal (you don’t really need to eat meat for every meal of the day!) then definitely give this vegetarian grilled cheese recipe a go.
This veggie grilled cheese sandwich was never intended to be a recipe for Pink Recipe Box – it was just something I whipped up one weekend morning for breakfast. But the flavours worked so well together and the textures were just so fabulous that I thought I’d share it with you guys, because who doesn’t love new and exciting grilled cheese ideas?
If you’re European and don’t know how to make grilled cheese sandwiches – they’re super simple. They’re sort of like a toastie (if you’re British) or a sandwich (if you’re Spanish) but way, way better. You butter the slices of bread on both sides, stuff your filling (which always includes cheese) in the middle and cook the sandwich on each side in a hot frying pan. The result is an ooey-gooey melted cheesy centre and a crispy golden-brown sandwich crust. Heaven!
Veggie Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- olive oil for frying
- 3 medium-size mushrooms
- 1 medium-size tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Slice the mushrooms and tomato into thick rounds.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil into a frying pan and cook the mushrooms over a medium heat for 5 minutes until they just start to brown. Remove the mushrooms and set to one side.
- Add another drizzle of oil into the pan and cook the tomato slices and chopped chives for another 5 minutes over a high heat, until the edges start to blacken. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Fill the pan with enough oil to create a thin layer over the bottom of the pan and cook the egg to your liking. Hint: if you want a runny yolk, only cook the egg for about 1 minute, since it will cook more later on.
- Whilst the egg is cooking, butter both sides of each slice of bread. Top one side of each slice with the grated cheese.
- On one piece of bread, top the cheese with the mushrooms, tomato-chive mix and the egg. Carefully fold the other piece of buttered bread and cheese on top to create a sandwich.
- Cook the buttered sandwich for 5 minutes on either side, until golden brown.
- Slice in half and serve immediately whilst hot.