Does it get any better than an apple crisp dessert? A light and crumbly buttery topping which gives way to reveal a filling of sweet and juicy apple chunks. Serve it alongside a generous spoonful of rich caramel sauce or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and you've got some serious comfort food right here!
You know what my favourite thing about apple crumble is? For a comforting dessert, it's pretty light and healthy! A single portion of this dessert comes in at 292 calories. Compare that to a piece of cake which can set you back anywhere between 500 and 700 calories and a simple apple crisp doesn't look too shabby! Especially when it gives as much comfort and joy as this recipe does. Is it weird that I get comfort and joy from the contents of a ramekin? I hope not!
So even though this dessert is pretty low-calorie, that kind of works against me. If I've got a whole batch of a healthy dessert sat in the kitchen, I'll end up eating several portions myself, "because it's healthy!" If you're like me, you'll love this recipe because there is absolutely no way you can over-eat! Unless you eat both servings...which I highly recommend you do. But don't listen to me - I'm a bad influence.
I genuinely think this is the best apple crumble ever - and it's so simple to make with just four ingredients! It's a slight variation of the fruit crumble recipe I found in my ancient Be-Ro Flour cook book - a cook book which never lets me down when it comes to fail-proof traditional British recipes like this one.
So the next time you're craving a comforting dessert which feels like a hug from the inside, grab this recipe and make apple crumble!
Easy Apple Crumble for Two
- 2 apples
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C and grease two small ramekins with butter.
- Peel, core and chop with apples into small chunks. Evenly divide the apple chunks between the two ramekins.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour and sugar. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until you've got a breadcrumb-like consistency. Evenly sprinkle the crumble topping on the apple chunks.
- Place the apple crumbles into the preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes, until the apples are soft and the top is golden.