I'm not really much of a fruit person - unless you count cocktails, sometimes my five a day comes directly from cocktails! - but I just love strawberries, don't you?
I also love BBQ sauce, so why not combine them? I know it might sound really weird to some of you (I mean who purées fruit and sticks it into a savoury sauce?!) but trust me, it so works and it makes a wonderful variation of regular ol' BBQ sauce. On second thought, don't actually trust me - make it for yourself and see!
Most homemade BBQ sauces use ketchup as a base and because I love making everything from scratch, I used homemade ketchup as the base for this sauce. It really doesn't take that much extra time, but the flavour makes it so so worth it!
- 140 g /1/2 cup tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 12 leaves strawberries removed
- Place all the ingredients - except the strawberries - into a saucepan and simmer over a low heat for an hour or two until it thickens, stirring every now and then. When the sauce cools, it will thicken up further, so keep this in mind.
- Whilst the sauce is thickening, place the strawberries onto a baking tray and bake at 350F/180C for around 30 minutes or until soft and the outsides are beginning to caramelise.
- When the strawberries are roasted and the sauce is thick, place the fruit into the saucepan and use a hand blender to process until there are no more lumps.
- Leave the sauce to cool and store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Here are the link parties I link up to.
Come and party with me!
YUM...what a creative and delicious idea to add strawberry to barbecue sauce! This would be great to link-up to my Create It Thursday post...it's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/06/create-it-thursday-6-plus-features.html
The Old-Fashioned Housewife
Wow. And Wow. Gorgeous. A truly unique recipe, I love it. I love working with fruit for savory dishes like this... Ive done a few creative things with strawberries on my blog as well. I will have to make this for sure! Found you through "show m what you got" and you have a gorgeous blog. As a very friendly comment, though, just FYI I find the pinks hard to read on my screen. Thats just a friendly blogger-to-blogger comment, not a criticism! Blessings!
Thanks for the constructive criticism!
A couple of people have said the same thing and I'm planning a mini blog makeover this weekend to fix it.
Thanks again! 🙂
Our Family World
Oh my goodness - I would never have thought that strawberries and BBQ would go together, but this looks and sounds so good! Bookmarking and trying this for sure!
Victoria @ My Thoughts For Thought
I am just imagining the taste of this bbq. It sounds amazing!