Mini servings of pure breakfast bliss, these healthy paleo egg muffins with sausage and spinach are the perfect way to sneak some goodness into the first meal of the day without sacrificing taste or time. They take just 35 minutes to make from start to finish, only require 5 ingredients (1 of which is salt) and are only 85 calories each! Can you believe it?
These healthy paleo egg muffins are based on one of my most popular recipes ever - healthy breakfast egg cups with broccoli and hash browns. They're amazing (I mean, how can cheese and hash browns not be amazing?!) but I was looking for something a little healthier this time. I've already experimented with healthy egg cups with spinach and mushrooms and healthy egg muffins with bacon and spinach. But this time I wanted to get one of my favourite breakfast foods into the mix - sausages!
I don't know about in the US, but in the UK, most sausages are stuffed with oats/breadcrumbs/other strictly non-paleo stuff. But in Spain we get really meaty sausages, loaded with pork, fats and lots of yumminess. If you're not concerned about your healthy egg muffins being paleo, you can totally take 2-3 ordinary sausage links, squeeze out the meat and break it up in the pan to make this dish.
If you are following a paleo diet (which I 100% recommend) you need to make sure your sausages don't contain any grains. Or you can keep it simple and use ground pork. That makes everything a lot easier and quicker. But it's totally your call.
These healthy paleo muffins really are easy enough to whip up on a weekday morning. The prep is so simple - there isn't even any chopping involved! But if you're enjoying a lazy weekend and want to make these muffins for a leisurely brunch, there are plenty of ways you can jazz them up.
Some incredible caramelised onion, a couple of cloves of minced garlic or a handful of sweet sun-dried tomatoes would take these healthy paleo egg muffins to the next level and make them even better!
One more thing before you go - these muffins re-heat really well. I love making a couple of trays of them at the start of the week, freezing them in ziploc bags then whacking them into the microwave for a couple of minutes to satisfy resilient hunger pangs throughout the week.
Healthy Paleo Egg Muffins with Sausage and Spinach
- 3.5oz/100g sausage meat or ground pork
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 355F/180C and lightly grease 6 moulds of a muffin tin. Add the sausage meat or ground pork to a small saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, until brown. Tip out any excess fat.
- Add in the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, until wilted.
- Evenly divide the sausage-spinach mix between the 6 moulds of the muffin tin.
- Lightly beat the eggs together with the milk and salt and pour evenly into the muffin tin moulds. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the egg muffins are golden and puffed up.