It's impossible to have a great day without an awesome breakfast. And an awesome breakfast this certainly is. Light and fluffy egg cups with a sharp cheddar cheese tang, stuffed with yummy mushrooms and super-nutritious spinach. These healthy egg cups are so good they taste more like a naughty brunch treat than a good-for-you weekday breakfast!
Although I love oatmeal in every way, shape and form (who could say no to chocolate chip cookie dough overnight oats?!) my boyfriend always prefers savory over sweet. So on a weekend when we have breakfast together I like to change my usual super sweet oat-based breakfasts to something a bit more savory.
When I want to impress, I pull out these monte cristo hash brown egg cups. When I want some serious praise, I make these broccoli hash brown cheese cups. And when I want a balance of naughty and nice, I whip up some breakfast egg muffins with spinach and bacon. But when I want a genuinely healthy breakfast jam-packed with flavor and loaded with different textures, I always make these healthy egg cups.
This recipe makes six healthy egg cups which is enough to fill two hungry adults. But if you add a side of whole wheat toast, a hash brown or (if you're feeling super healthy) a breakfast salad, you can probably stretch the recipe so it feeds three people.
And why stop at breakfast? These healthy egg cups also make a great lunchbox treat or snack. Can you imagine how good you'll feel when lunchtime rolls around and you're tucking into one of these delicious cheesy egg cups while your co-workers are eating soggy sandwiches? Just try not to look too smug, 'kay?
Don't worry if your healthy egg cups puff up like beautiful souffles in the oven, only to deflate the second you pull them out. That's just what happens. Sad face.
And while all the air that makes the healthy egg cups look full to exploding disappears the minute you remove them from the oven, the amazing breakfast taste you can only get by combining sharp cheddar cheese, earthy button mushrooms and delicate wilted spinach hangs around until the very last bite.
- 9 button mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 medium eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and grease 6 holes of a muffin pan. Roughly chop 6 of the mushrooms and halve the remaining 3 lengthways. Roughly chop the spinach.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a small frying pan and sautee the mushrooms and spinach for 5 minutes.
- Set the halved mushrooms to one side. Mix together the remaining roughly chopped mushrooms, spinach, eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Evenly divide the mixture between the greased muffin holes and top each one with half a mushroom.
- Place the egg cups into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the tops are puffy and golden brown.