Here I am with another recipe for low calorie brownies! Brownies are my favourite dessert of all-time and they're also one of the easiest desserts to add a healthy spin to. You know when you make ordinary brownies and melt butter and dark chocolate together? Well I cannot stop myself eating spoonful after spoonful of that heavenly mixture. Seriously - by the time I've finished, the recipe only makes half the amount of brownies it was supposed to! Which is why I need to stock up on as many recipes for low calorie healthy brownies that I can and this one is certainly a keeper.
These low calorie brownies from scratch turned out way better than I ever expected. One night I was craving the rich chocolatey goodness of a comforting brownie so I found a simple healthy brownies recipe online, made a few alterations - like I always do - and banged the whole thing in the oven. Around 30 minutes later I was staring open-mouthed at one of the most delicious brownies I've ever eaten, ever ever ever!
Not only are these brownies low calorie, but they're also super quick and easy to make, so they're perfect for whipping up on a week night after a busy day when you're in the mood for a delicious treat. Stir together the dry ingredients, add in the wet ingredients and bake the whole thing in the oven for 20 minutes. Don't you just love one-bowl desserts? Even though we've got a dishwasher (it's about time!), I still always jump for joy when a recipe needs just one bowl.
Wondering what the secret is to keeping these brownies so low calorie (I mean seriously, 100 calories for a great big brownie? Yes, please!!) and deliciously moist? Nope, it's not Greek yougrt, black beans, or pumpkin puree. It's applesauce! I always use homemade applesauce at home - just peel, core and chop some apples and cook them until soft in a saucepan with some water then mash them up. But you can just as easily use store-bought unsweetened applesauce if you've got it handy. Don't worry if you're not a big fan of applesauce - these brownies don't taste apple-y at all. Just chocolatey, heavenly and crazily satisfying!
vegetarian - low-fat - low-calorie
Low Calorie Brownies from Scratch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup skimmed milk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line a 9" square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients - the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, stevia powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the wet ingredients - skimmed milk, beaten egg and applesauce - until you've got a thick and even batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, until the tops of the brownies have set, but there is still a little wobble in the middle.
- Place the baking tin on a wire rack and leave to cool slightly before slicing into 9 squares and serving.