Lets celebrate the weekend by devouring an entire batch of perfect chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies! Seriously – I’m not exaggerating here. These really are the best ever chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. And you know what? They’re pretty healthy, too! At just over 100 calories for a big cookie, you can treat yourself to a sweet treat every now and then without feeling like you’ve got to go on an hour’s run afterward to work it off.
How are you spending your weekend? We’re going camping! After three weeks of fostering the kittens, we are in serious need of a relaxing break. And right now, I can’t think of anything more relaxing than barbecuing under the stars, nibbling on breakfast burritos al fresco and chomping on these healthy choc chip oat cookies during our forest walks. In case I’m not being obvious enough, the only reason I ever go camping is for the food. Loads of smoky grilled meat, ooey-gooey s’mores and plenty of snacks – that is my idea of a relaxing weekend!
It took me a long time to get these healthy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies right. First I tried making them with Greek yogurt and no butter – nope. They ended up more cake-like than cookie-like. Then I substituted the dairy butter for coconut butter. They tasted beyond amazing when they were warm – packed full of coconut flavour – but totally fell apart after they’d cooled. Then I went back to the drawing board and looked at my recipe for The Best Ever Seriously Oaty Chocolate Chip Cookies. I tweaked that recipe a tiny bit and came up with these incredible bites of total deliciousness.
You might want to think about doubling up on the ingredients for these cookies and making a great big batch. Seriously – they taste so amazing that you’ll fly through one batch of cookies in just a couple of hours! My Boyfriend is always really sceptical of healthy desserts, but even he wouldn’t stop wolfing these down. So if you’re not sure if your friends and family will like these cookies because they’re lightened up, just don’t tell them they’re healthy. They contain no weird ingredients, just fewer of the bad ingredients you usually find in cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and stir together the oats, flour, baking soda and both sugars in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted butter, milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until a dough forms.
- Divide the cookie dough into 12 pieces and roll each one into a ball.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Evenly spread the cookie dough balls out onto the lined baking tray. Press each ball down slightly with your palm to create a more cookie-like shape. These cookies don't spread very much, so press them down a fair bit.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 14 minutes and leave to cool on the baking tray (they'll carry on cooking a little longer on the tray) until they reach room temperature.