Let me introduce you to your new favourite summer snack. Teeny tiny frozen banana bites topped with a smooth and buttery healthy caramel and rich and nutty peanut butter, all coated with a generous spoonful of drool-inducing dark chocolate and crushed peanuts because they look way more professional and fancy that way than without.
I swear, no matter how many times I eat these frozen banana chocolate bites I can never get my head around how on earth they're healthy! Something magical happens when you freeze bananas and you'll know exactly what I'm on about if you've ever tried my healthy four-ingredient soft serve. The texture changes from fine-but-nothing-special banana to a lush and creamy ice cream-like texture. Seriously!
I think that's why these healthy frozen banana bites are so awesome - they've got layers upon layers of texture as well as flavour. When you bite into one, you get the chewiness of the nuts followed by the incredibly satisfying crack of the dark chocolate. Then it's onto the velvet-like smoothness of the peanut butter and caramel before ending with the cool creaminess of the ice cream-like banana. If you think I'm being over the top with my description, I'm really not. If anything, I'm underselling it! Try this frozen banana bites recipe for yourself and you'll see.
I love the added crunch and chew that the crushed peanuts add, but you don't have to sprinkle them on top. My boyfriend adores peanut butter on toast, but that's the only way he'll eat it. Apparently, when you use peanut butter for anything apart from spreading on toast, it becomes too peanutty...but even he loves these frozen banana snickers bites! Granted, I have to make them for him without the crushed peanuts on top or he pulls a face like a toddler being force fed broccoli, but I still consider it to be progress.
Do you have any weird food combos? Like you'll only eat one type of food when it's paired with another? Or won't eat a certain type of food if it's paired with another type? Tell me!
Frozen Banana Snickers Bites
- 4 small ripe bananas
- 8 dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ¼ cup chopped up dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 10 peanuts
- Peel the bananas and cut off the round ends.
- Slice the rest of the bananas into rounds about 0.5inches/1cm thick and lay them onto a chopping board or other portable flat surface.
- Place the dates and water into a powerful blender and blend on high speed for 1 minute until you've got a thick caramel-like paste. You'll have to scrape down the inside of the blender a few times with a rubber spatula to make sure all the dates get blended.
- Evenly spread the date paste on top of all the banana bites then top each with a small scoop of peanut butter.
- Place the dark chocolate into a small microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 1 minute, until melted. Remove the chocolate from the microwave every 30 seconds and stir to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Scoop out small amounts of melted dark chocolate with a teaspoon and pour on top of each banana bite. The melted chocolate should drip down the sides and cover the date paste and peanut butter.
- Crush the peanuts in a blender or pestle and mortar and sprinkle them on top of the wet chocolate.
- Leave the banana bites on the chopping board or flat surface and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until frozen solid.