Normally when I publish overnight oats recipes, they’re healthy – just like these healthy cookie dough overnight oats or double chocolate raspberry overnight oats. But this time, I’ve pretty much thrown my healthy mindset out of the window and decided to serve you caramel for breakfast. Yep, this is straight up homemade caramel sauce, made from cream, butter and sugar. And I’m giving it to you for breakfast. Pretty awesome, right?
I know you can make healthy caramel sauce, but I just don’t like it. I read loads of recipes and comments online about how people were using chopped up dates to sweeten their oatmeal and add a caramel-like flavour. Since I always have at least 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in all my oatmeal recipes, I decided to substitute it for a couple of dates and I did not like the result. They just didn’t give the sweetness that sugar does.
So instead, I ground up the dates and used them to make a paste. A sweet, caramel-like paste that was a healthy, natural sweetener? Surely I’d love that! But nope. I ended up having to use so much of it to sweeten up my oatmeal that it was just getting ridiculous. So I’ve decided to stick to sugar. Yes, honey is a great and natural sugar substitute, but it doesn’t just sweeten in the way that sugar does – it also adds the flavour of honey, obviously, which I usually don’t want in my oatmeal. But anyway, enough about my sugar testing and back to this overnight caramel apple oatmeal recipe!
As the weather gets cooler, I tend to move away from overnight oats recipes and closer to typical oatmeal recipes, but these caramel apple overnight oats are just so comforting that you don’t need to heat them up! The apple chunks are dusted with ground cinnamon and when they’re combined with caramel sauce, it’s like getting a hug from someone in a seriously fluffy jumper for breakfast!
I used homemade caramel sauce in my overnight oats, but feel free to use store-bought if you prefer. Although since we don’t really get caramel sauce in the supermarkets here (at least we get dulce de leche, yay!) I can’t recommend a brand.
Caramel Apple Overnight Oats
- 1 small apple
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup natural or Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce separated
- Peel, core and chop the apple into small chunks. Place into a microwave-safe container and toss with the ground cinnamon, until all the apple chunks are coated.
- Cook the apple chunks in the microwave for 2 minutes, until soft.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the oats, sugar, yoghurt and milk.
- Add 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce into the bottom of a serving jar, top with 1/3 of the apple chunks and pour over 1/2 of the oatmeal mixture.
- Repeat previous step.
- Top with the final 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce and apple chunks.
- Place in the fridge and leave for at least 4 hours for the oats to soften.
Here are the link parties I link up to. Come and party with me!